Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Igor Gois <ig...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/15 22:04:52 UTC

SqlTransform on windows using direct runner

Hi,

I am trying to run Sql transform on windows using direct runner and apache
beam (2.30.0):

import apache_beam as beamfrom apache_beam.transforms.sql import SqlTransform
with beam.Pipeline() as p:
    pipe = (
        |'hello' >> beam.Create([('SE',400),('SC',500)])
        |'schema' >> beam.Map(lambda x: beam.Row(
                                                state=x[0],
                                                population=x[1]
                                                ))
    )

    sql = (
        pipe
        |'sql' >> SqlTransform('SELECT state, population FROM PCOLLECTION')
        |'sql print' >> beam.Map(print)
    )

And I got this error:

  File "c:\users\XXX\appdata\local\programs\python\python37\lib\subprocess.py",
line 1306, in send_signal
    raise ValueError("Unsupported signal: {}".format(sig))
ValueError: Unsupported signal: 2

I followed this video on youtube [1] and it mentions Universal Local Runner
(ULR) but I didn't find anything about it on [2]. I also found a similar
error on [3] but didn't figure out how to solve it and was related to kafka.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

[1] https://youtu.be/zx4p-UNSmrA?t=2097
[2] https://beam.apache.org/documentation/runners/direct/
[3]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65780044/readfromkafka-throws-valueerror-unsupported-signal-2

Igor Gois

Re: SqlTransform on windows using direct runner

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.
Ah, this looks like a bug in Beam on Windows. It looks like
send_signal(signal.SIGINT) is not a cross-platform way to close a process.
We should probably use terminate or kill [1] here instead. I opened
BEAM-12501 [2] for this issue.

+dev <de...@beam.apache.org> for awareness - I think this will affect most
external transforms in Python.

Thanks for letting us know about this Igor

[1]
https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen.terminate
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-12501

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.