Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by soap vamsi <so...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/04/22 12:52:19 UTC

serializers/deserializers

Why do i need different serializers and deserializers to marshall
and unmarshall a message?
Why do have to specify the a serializer/deserialzer of my choice
when i pass an user created type as a parameter to an rpc?
Thanx in advance
vamsi
Click below to visit monsterindia.com and review jobs in India or
Abroad
http://monsterindia.rediff.com/jobs

Re: serializers/deserializers

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
The code must have some way to understand how to represent a Java class in XML,
and how to create an instance of a Java class from XML.  The Apache SOAP way of
doing this is pretty reasonable, and is similar to what Microsoft implemented in
the SOAP Toolkit V2.  On the serialization side, it might have been nice to have
BeanSerializer used as the default if no serializer is specified, but it is a
little more difficult to know what would be appropriate for the de-serializer to
do when confronted with an unmapped type.  It could search the classpath for the
first class matching the element type, but that is not always what is desired.
It could create a Bean for each unmapped type, but that would just provide a bag
of wrapped data, not a class with the semantics of some entity in the
application domain as might be desired.  I guess it would provide some kind of
default, though.

Scott