Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Walter Gillett <wa...@yahoo.com> on 2009/10/15 03:47:09 UTC

trouble running Cassandra nosetests

Hi All,

I'm a Cassandra newbie working on getting my sandbox up to speed. Following the instructions on HowToContribute, I've gotten far enough along to be able to run "ant test" without any errors. But "nosetests" is failing, see details below. Looks like the test teardown routine is unhappy because the pid it's trying to kill has already died. Before I get into a detailed dive to figure out what's going wrong, thought I'd check with the community to see if I'm missing something obvious. (Is it easy to run nosetests in the debugger and step through the code?). Thanks,

Walter Gillett

here's the test failure:

$ nosetests -x
ERROR: system.test_server.TestMutations.test_bad_calls
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/nose-0.11.1-py2.6.egg/nose/case.py", line 364, in setUp
    try_run(self.inst, ('setup', 'setUp'))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/nose-0.11.1-py2.6.egg/nose/util.py", line 487, in try_run
    return func()
  File "/home/wgillett/dev/cassandra-trunk/test/system/__init__.py", line 59, in setUp
    sys.exit()
SystemExit:
-------------------- >> begin captured stdout << ---------------------
Unclean shutdown detected, (/home/wgillett/dev/cassandra-trunk/system_test.pid found)

--------------------- >> end captured stdout << ----------------------

Ran 1 test in 0.062s

FAILED (errors=1)

Re: trouble running Cassandra nosetests

Posted by Walter Gillett <wa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks - also now I see this debugging tip is covered in the nose documentation. Will add some notes to the wiki on troubleshooting when I get a chance.

Walter

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Gillett <wa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks!!! There was indeed a stale Cassandra process getting in the way. Killed that process and now nosetests runs happily to completion with no errors.

(Moot point now but: I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, Cassandra trunk.)

Walter

Are there unkilled cassandra java processes hanging around?  Do you
get the same thing if you kill them, r/m the pid, and try again?  What
platform is this?  What version of cassandra?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.