Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it> on 2012/02/03 13:11:11 UTC

Re: Indexed in-memory graph

Hi Rupert,

On 2/3/12 12:51 PM, Rupert Westenthaler wrote:
> I spent most of the last night and todays morning with implementing a
> Clerezza in-memory TripleCollection that supports SPO, POS, OSP
> indexes for fast filtered iterators.
>
> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-683 for details

This is definitely great news - thanks and congrats!

> However I assume that performance improvements for Ontonet, Reasoning
> and Rules could be even more significant if this components where
> actually using Clerezza in-memory models. If yes it would be great if
> you could check such use cases and provide some performance
> comparisons.

OntoNet usually hands over to whatever providers are registered with the
TcManager, as far as storage is concerned.

However, it does use SimpleMGraph whenever it has to export a scope or
session as a TripleCollection, as per

<O> O OWLExportable#export(Class<O> returnType, boolean merge)

This happens e.g. for GET methods over scopes and sessions with Accept:
application/json . The other formats are supported by the OWL API, which
has an amazingly human-readable rendering of RDF/XML and other formats,
so for those we export to OWLOntology instead of a TripleCollection.

However, this is the real bottleneck of OntoNet: what it does now is to
serialize the TripleCollection and deserialize to OWLOntology, which is
just as good as you can figure yourself.
Also, the OWL API works inmemory, and it is not trivial to make an
adapter that makes Clerezza Triples into appropriate *subtypes* of
OWLAxiom (e.g. OWL annotation assertions vs. object/data property
assertions). Some use cases do need to handle these resource
owl-axiom-wise, DL reasoners being one.

Anyway, I will be happy to benchmark whatever usage I have of
SimpleMGraph versus your indexed MGraph.

best

Alessandro

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Department of Computer Science
Mura Anteo Zamboni 7, 40127 Bologna - Italy

Semantic Technology Laboratory (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology (ISTC)
National Research Council (CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161 Rome - Italy

"As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid, lying morality, and so I am beyond caring."
(Col. Walter E. Kurtz)

Not sent from my iSnobTechDevice