Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Gildor Oronar <gi...@mail-on.us> on 2007/09/23 04:22:33 UTC

help a new user choose NxD? (how large volumn can Xindic handle?)

Dear all

I am choosing NxD for my project. The NxD is used mainly as an XForm
repository to store a lot of XForms submitted by a lot of people. The
choice must be very careful because

1-> The data volumn is big. The system will start with 400,000 XForms and
probably double or tripple in the coming years. Each XForm can have
several dozens of values in it (some XForms have several hundreds of
values in it);
2-> Advanced query feature must be implemented, it's often needed to
calculate from tens of thousands of records on average value of a certain
elements for example.

I guess the second question is more or less related to XQuery and how
flexible it can achieve, and compare with project requirement. The first
question is probably depend on how NxD can handle. Can Xindic easily
handle data at this volumn? Which NxD can do?

If Xindic is chosen and helped us succeed, because the project, once done,
is pretty open to the outside, this will be a good success story for
Xindic for marketing purpose too:) We would like to share victory with
apache team!

Re: help a new user choose NxD? (how large volumn can Xindic handle?)

Posted by Spee <sp...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

for XQuery-Support i can recommend to use the eXist-NXD. A sandbox on there
website makes it possible to test if your queries are supported.

i hope this is some help,
christoph

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gildor Oronar <gi...@mail-on.us>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Gildor Oronar wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am choosing NxD for my project. The NxD is used mainly as an XForm
> repository to store a lot of XForms submitted by a lot of people. The
> choice must be very careful because
>
> 1-> The data volumn is big. The system will start with 400,000 XForms
> and probably double or tripple in the coming years. Each XForm can have
> several dozens of values in it (some XForms have several hundreds of
> values in it);

That's not very much, as far as large databases go. Xindice should be able to
handle such number of documents fine.

However you did not say what is the mean/average/max size of each document.
Since you are talking about "dozens of values" I'm guessing documents are rather
small.

> 2-> Advanced query feature must be implemented, it's often needed to
> calculate from tens of thousands of records on average value of a
> certain elements for example.
>
> I guess the second question is more or less related to XQuery and how
> flexible it can achieve, and compare with project requirement.

Current version of Xindice does not support XQuery. Currently you can use only
XPath and XUpdate with Xindice.

> The first
> question is probably depend on how NxD can handle. Can Xindic easily
> handle data at this volumn? Which NxD can do?

I'd guess almost any XML DB should handle such volume Ok.

> If Xindic is chosen and helped us succeed, because the project, once
> done, is pretty open to the outside, this will be a good success story
> for Xindic for marketing purpose too:) We would like to share victory
> with apache team!

PS It's 'Xindice' :)

Vadim