Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> on 2012/08/22 13:34:23 UTC

Re: crazy rule FROM_12LTRDOM

Moving to Dev:

On 8/22/2012 1:18 AM, Michael Monnerie wrote:
>> Current score on this rule is 0.098. Have you updated your rules
>> >recently?
> Yes, thank you. I just worked up some false positive reports and found
> that FROM_12LTRDOM hit some of our customers, who could not receive from
> their customers anymore, as that was all wrongly classified as spam
> suddenly.
What is the score line in 72_active.cf that you show for FROM_12LTRDOM?

I show:

3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/72_scores.cf:score
FROM_12LTRDOM                         0.099 0.098 0.099 0.098

Regards,
KAM

Re: crazy rule FROM_12LTRDOM

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 8/24/2012 8:33 AM, Daniel McDonald wrote:
> No, auto-reporting is*bad*.  Masschecks are done on human-verified ham and
> spam.  If something is misclassified by SpamAssassin as spam, and then the
> rules are tuned to classify more things that look like that as spam, you end
> up with a cascade of FPs.  Masschecks try to break that cycle by using
> humans.
>
> Also, ham is just a valuable (perhaps more so) as spam.
But centralized concepts are good.  One of the reasons ruleqa is not
just masschecks is that it really encompasses everything we do for
rules.  We need to expand on data users can provide to continue
improving rules.

regards,
KAM

Re: crazy rule FROM_12LTRDOM

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Daniel McDonald wrote:

> On 8/24/12 5:58 AM, "Michael Monnerie"
> <li...@is.it-management.at> wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, 22. August 2012, 07:34:23 schrieb Kevin A. McGrail:
>>> Yup, that's exactly why we need more masscheck data, and we all know
>>> it.  Basing most SA scores on fifteen people's email who are not
>>> representative of all email users (we're all computer geeks who mostly
>>> speak English) is *bad*.  Please fix it
>>
>> Make an autoreporter in SA, sending e-mails with >15 or so points to a
>> central report address. Must be enabled, user must subscribe to get an
>> id, that id is reportet with the mail. You'll get a lot of reports if
>> subscription is made easy.
>
> No, auto-reporting is *bad*.
>
> Also, ham is just a valuable (perhaps more so) as spam.

Lack of ham is what caused the 12LTRDOM rules to get such high generated
scores in the first place...

   The social contract exists so that everyone doesn't have to squat
   in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all
   day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take
   your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what
   to do with them.                           -- Dagny @ Ace of Spades
  Today: the 1933rd anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii

Re: crazy rule FROM_12LTRDOM

Posted by Daniel McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281

Re: crazy rule FROM_12LTRDOM

Posted by Michael Monnerie <li...@is.it-management.at>.
Am Mittwoch, 22. August 2012, 07:34:23 schrieb Kevin A. McGrail:
> What is the score line in 72_active.cf that you show for
> FROM_12LTRDOM?
>
> 3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/72_scores.cf:score
> FROM_12LTRDOM                         0.099 0.098 0.099 0.098

Yes, that's what's there now. It was crazy high (3.7), hope it stays
down now.

And darxus answered to the other list:
> As to what I believe is your objection to the existence of the rule:
> I understand, I sympathize.  There are rules against doing other
> entirely valid things that I do, for example not having a "real name"
> in my From address.  But these rules exist because they might
> correspond highly to spam, and are very carefully automatically scored
> accordingly (when we have enough data).  It's a complicated subject.

True. Those 0.1 points for 12 letter domains will at least fix *my*
problems, don't know for others, though.

> Yup, that's exactly why we need more masscheck data, and we all know
> it.  Basing most SA scores on fifteen people's email who are not
> representative of all email users (we're all computer geeks who mostly
> speak English) is *bad*.  Please fix it

Make an autoreporter in SA, sending e-mails with >15 or so points to a
central report address. Must be enabled, user must subscribe to get an
id, that id is reportet with the mail. You'll get a lot of reports if
subscription is made easy.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc