Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Geo Lam <ge...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/07 06:19:29 UTC

UTF-8 encoding problem (responding to browser)

Dear all,
  I have search the arhive list concerning the encoding problem of reading
double byte character. I have used the tomcat filter to successfully reading
chinese UTF-8 character and saving it into database(MS SQLServer2000 -MS
JDBC driver).
  However, in the same servlet, I used the output writer to write the same
string to the browser only with "???" characters. I have set
response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8") but it doesn't work.
  What can I do to correct the output problem? Thanks.

Attached: a segment of code;
  // using tomcat filter to perform request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8")
  System.out.println(request.getParameter("edTextBox"));

  // output is ?? in browser but database is correct (display using
System.out.print is also correct)

  System.out.println("response-encoding: " + response.getCharacterEncoding()
);
  //output indicates that response is in UTF-8

Thanks

Re: UTF-8 encoding problem (responding to browser)

Posted by Tony LaPaso <tl...@attbi.com>.
I've been doing something similar lately with no problem -- my
text is being displayed in Chinese just fine. I am also using
UTF-8 with content-type=text/html;charset=utf-8.

There are two things I would look at:

1. Can your browser display whatever language you are trying to
display? If you do not have the correct font you will see ????.

2. Are you sending a META tag that might be overriding the
content-type header?

3. Also, if you have a sniffer, I would recommend looking at the
incoming/outgoing byte stream.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>