Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by SALPE Nilesh <Ni...@3dplmsoftware.com> on 2009/09/10 14:09:55 UTC

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space for FOP PDF generation from XML and XSLFO

Hello ,

I am using FOP 0.95  in servlet for dynamic PDF generation .

It is of about 160 pages .and uses many images in background and other
things.

I give it XML and XSLT as file input and I write out put in response
using byte array

I get following error

Caused by: javax.faces.FacesException: #{CatalogueBean.actionExtract}:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Can you help me ?

After profiling I see that PDF generation takes about 8 MB of memory of
perm gen space and do not release it .

	Nilesh Salpe
Software Engineer, Tools Development
nilesh_salpe@3dplmsoftware.com <ma...@3dplmsoftware.com>

3D PLM Software Solutions Limited
A Joint Venture of Geometric & Dassault Systemes
T +91.20.22907074    F +91.20.22932760    M +9881466101
www.3dplmsoftware.com <http://www.3dplmsoftware.com>

This e-mail communication and any attachments are privileged and
confidential and intended only for the use of the recipients named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not review,
disclose, disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail and attachments.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by email or telephone at +91-20-2290-6641.

Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space for FOP PDF generation from XML and XSLFO

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.
The solution is simple, really: increase PermGen space.
In an app context that looks very much like yours (big app, full J2EE
stack, FOP, 250 pages with many images...) we use:
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m