Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/09/11 17:58:57 UTC

Re: Maintenance of AOO Wiki and Forum

On 14/08/2015 jan i wrote:
> this might be a good time for a new maintainer to step up.
> The actual maintenance is  about 1 hour pr month.

Coming back to this, it is likely to be easier to find someone if we
define this "ordinary maintenance" better. I mean, updating the
application takes surely more than 1 hour but that is "extraordinary
maintenance".

What falls in the "ordinary maintenance"? Login to the VM, say, every
few days, apt-get upgrade, taking a look at the logs and basic system
health indicators? If these are the tasks then expanding the team with
one extra volunteer will look less daunting than upgrading the forum to
the latest version, which is made very complex by the extremely
complicated setup we inherited from the pre-Apache era.

Note: I did read the companion thread too, but still it didn't get into
concrete maintenance tasks.

By the way, Jan let me thank you in public for the infrastructure work:
unfortunately, like all sysadmin tasks, if one does a good job it
doesn't show since everything just keeps working and people forget that
this is due to someone properly administering them.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Maintenance of AOO Wiki and Forum

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/09/2015 jan i wrote:
> I see this mail goes public on dev@ which seems to have changed a lot

I was answering your mail sent to dev.

> Your description sounds ok (at least for a sales brochure), reality might
> be a bit more complicated but not that much.

Well, you had stated here that maintenance takes 1 hour per month and I
asked if we could have some details on how that hour is spent so that
people would be able to understand if they could help.

> However you avoid the real  problem, the upgrade

I did it once. I know it is painful due to the setup and I wouldn't put
a new person on it. I mean, if someone joins the team they are more
likely to start with the ordinary updates that take one hour per month,
not with the upgrade of an application which is configured (for legacy
reasons) in a very peculiar way with lots of pitfalls.

> nor do I want to interfere in talks between the AOO chair and Infra.

Neither do I, and I am not aware of the contents (if any) of such talks.

> naturally I am available for help when needed

Good, thanks! I remembered that we still have some updates pending that
are not real application updates (like changing the forum homepage, the
static one; so not even a sysadmin task) and it helps to know that
someone may help in getting them online once they are ready.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Maintenance of AOO Wiki and Forum

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
I see this mail goes public on dev@ which seems to have changed a lot into
a single person deciding what happens (or at least what is
communicated outside the project). This is of course only my opinon as one
who do not follow the project closely, but I respond accordingly.

If the AOO project finds it easier to define "ordinary maintenance" then
please do so, there are lots of references in the archives as to what that
means, written by myself and other PMC members. If you have specific
questions I am happy to help.

Your description sounds ok (at least for a sales brochure), reality might
be a bit more complicated but not that much. However you avoid the real
problem, the upgrade, in my private opinion the servers need an makeover
for security reasons, but that is my personal opinion (to any hackers: the
servers are currently well protected from the outside due to the https
structure that infra prefers to use)

I understand from other lists, which I cannot refer to, that the AOO chair
(I have not seen it confirmed anywhere from the PMC) is talking with infra,
so I do not understand the background for your question, nor do I want to
interfere in talks between the AOO chair and Infra.

As I have said many times I am part of Infra and part of apache, so
naturally I am available for help when needed, but please do not use me as
a go-between infra and the project.

rgds
jan i