Posted to iot@apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/04/16 07:10:27 UTC

Blog post on selecting hardware for embedded protocol adapters ...

Hi folks,

sorry for cross-posting, but I think this might be interesting for some of you.

I just published my first blog article on selecting the hardware for my current project of “Securing PLCs via embedded Open-Source protocol adapters“.

Here I’ll be porting Apache PLC4X drivers to the C language and creating an Apache MyNewt integration to build open-source protocol adapters for securing the communication with industrial PLCs. But at the start I needed to select the hardware I would be using to do this. Being completely new in this area it was quite a task to compile that feature comparison matrix, that’s currently still on the PLC4X page, but hopefully will move to the MyNewt page some time soon:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PLC4X/Creating+a+version+of+PLC4X+drivers+that+work+on+Apache+MyNewt
Hope the one or the other might get some new info’s from it.

Have fun reading:
https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2020/04/selecting-hardware-embedded-development-open-source-protococol-adapters/

Chris

Re: Blog post on selecting hardware for embedded protocol adapters ...

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Weeeeeellll,

I haven't finished the integration ... my current project sprint is for defining the core C API ... after that will come the internal API, then porting of code generation , then Driver logic port and in a final step will be the MyNewt integration.

However I would like to send some proposals for the C API ...
Even if C was the first real programming language I learnt ... but that was 1995 and haven't been using that actively for about 15 years.

Some feedback on what we came up with would be highly appreciated.

Chris

Am 17.04.20, 02:52 schrieb "Aditi Hilbert" <ad...@juul.com.INVALID>:

    Hi Chris,

    Very interesting read and a very useful project with numerous applications.
    Thanks for integrating with Apache Mynewt. I think you picked the right
    software elements, hardware, transport choices.

    thanks,
    Aditi

    --
    Aditi Hilbert
    Juul Labs <https://www.juullabs.com/> | 560 20th Street, San Francisco, CA

Re: Blog post on selecting hardware for embedded protocol adapters ...

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Weeeeeellll,

Posted by Aditi Hilbert <ad...@juul.com.INVALID>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

and thanks Julian for assisting ;-) ... the typical Friday Zoom Meeting marathon ;-)

Our company lector just gave the blog another polish after coming back from her holidays, so feel free to use the now updated version.

Chris

Am 17.04.20, 10:07 schrieb "ed.targett@cbronline.com" <ed...@cbronline.com>:

    Thanks Julian.
    And a fresh piece on the Apache IoT Ecosystem would be great, perhaps to run in a few weeks or so?
    Best wishes,
    Ed

    Follow our LinkedIn page here<https://www.linkedin.com/company/computer-business-review> for all the latest news, features, jobs and events.

    Ed Targett

    Editor

    CBRonline.com

    ed.targett@cbronline.com<ma...@Compelo.com>

    ________________________________

Posted by ed...@cbronline.com.

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Ed!

excellent suggestion, thats a nice opportunity!
I bet @Christofer Dutz (or also myself) would love to contribute an "exclusive" article about PLC4X or the whole Apache IoT Ecosystem for Computer Business Review, if there is interest : )

Best
Julian

Posted by Aditi Hilbert <ad...@juul.com.INVALID>.