Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by re...@planet.nl on 2002/07/16 19:48:02 UTC

Re: Bolding text in another font

>relli001@planet.nl wrote:
>> The problem I now have is with bolding texts in these fonts.
>> I understand that I have to actually use a prepared separate
>> bolded font. I have looked everywhere for such a font. I can
>> neither find a bold version of MSGothic nor bold version of
>> Arial Unicode? Any other ideas on how to emphasize some
>> Japanese texts or Central European languages.

>Win2k is delivered with bold and italic variants for Arial
>(unicode), plain arial is in arial.ttf, bold in arialbd.ttf
>etc. You have to put an entry for bold, italic and bold-italic
>etc. separately into userconfig.xml, refer to the documentation.
>As for MSGothic, ask where you got the regular font.

>You could also try a font editor, some have functionss to
>construct bold and italic variants from the regular font.

>J.Pietschmann

Thanks so much
Arial is indeed delivered with w2k:  plain arial is in arial.ttf, bold in arialbd.ttf.   But the unicode version arialuni.ttf does not have a bold version.  Nonetheless, I believe arial support many languages like central european languages, greek, russian etc, which helps a great deal.
However Arial does not support Japanese, whilst Arial unicode does, and so does MSGothic.  And I still cannot find a free bolded font that supports Japanese. Does anyone know of any, and where I can get it.

About using a font editor to fix this problem.  Which would you recommend (preferably freeware/shareware) that have the functionality of bolding a font.

Thanks so much

still partly stuck