Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2017/05/31 08:58:14 UTC

Need a branch for JavaFX front end?

Hello Siddhesh

The Google Summer of Code officially started May 30th. Do you some idea
about where you plan to do the work? Do you plan to create a repository
on GitHub?

    Regards,

        Martin

Re: Need a branch for JavaFX front end?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddhesh

Le 01/06/2017 à 10:56, Siddhesh Rane a écrit :

> I haven't used svn before. I feel giving me write access could be
> dangerous if I commit noob mistakes. I think for now I'll continue
> with git.  Meanwhile I'll read about svn and get myself familiar with
> it. When my repo achieves some level of functionality then we'll
> transfer to subversion. Will that be fine?

Yes this is a very good approach. We will help you with SVN at that time
(it is also possible that SIS switch to Git at some point in the future,
but we have no schedule for that yet).

Posted by Siddhesh Rane <Si...@disroot.org>.
Hi Martin,

> Actually Apache SIS is still on Subversion (SVN). The git repositories
> are only read-only mirrors. But I think we can give you write access to
> SVN. Would you like to take this approach?

I haven't used svn before. I feel giving me write access could be dangerous if I commit noob mistakes. I think for now I'll continue with git.  Meanwhile I'll read about svn and get myself familiar with it. When my repo achieves some level of functionality then we'll transfer to subversion. Will that be fine?

Regards
Siddhesh Rane

Re: Need a branch for JavaFX front end?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Siddhesh

Le 31/05/2017 à 13:06, Siddhesh Rane a écrit :

> A different branch wouldn't be necessary I believe because I'm perhaps
> the only one who will touch the Javafx folder, so we'll never have any
> conflicts.

Right, so direct commit in the "application/sis-javafx" directory of
JDK8 branch would be fine.

> * We need some arrangement where I would get push access to at least
> the folder I'm working on if we are to migrate. I think git sub module
> is a feature like that.

Actually Apache SIS is still on Subversion (SVN). The git repositories
are only read-only mirrors. But I think we can give you write access to
SVN. Would you like to take this approach?

> * A proper migration would mean that my POM becomes a child of the sis
> parent POM. This way the feature set of the app is always tied to the
> jd8 branch.

Yes, with code committed in "application/sis-javafx" I could more easily
make such adjustments if needed.

Posted by Siddhesh Rane <Si...@disroot.org>.
Hello Martin,

> Do you plan to create a repository
> on GitHub?

I already have a repository at https://github.com/SiddheshRane/sis-client
where I have pushed certain changes.
At this point the app is just mimicking the console like output, only to see everything is working and to understand the api.

A different branch wouldn't be necessary I believe because I'm perhaps the only one who will touch the Javafx folder, so we'll never have any conflicts. I guess jdk8 branch on sis github will be sufficient.

Some thoughts on migration :

* We need some arrangement where I would get push access to at least the folder I'm working on if we are to migrate. I think git sub module is a feature like that.

* History of my repo should be preserved, preferably. If you can suggest any method of transferring all my commits. This is not a hard requirement at all and I'm open to just copy-paste-intial-mega-commit method.

* A proper migration would mean that my POM becomes a child of the sis parent POM. This way the feature set of the app is always tied to the jd8 branch.

I'm no expert at project management so I'm entirely relying on you to suggest me whatever method you see best.

Regards,
Siddhesh Rane