Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/01/06 08:08:53 UTC

Plugin plugin

Yo Dion,

Not sure what you have in mind for the plugin plugin, but the reactor
that is now used to build our plugins could be used as a template. You
could push out a template for our plugin setup so that it could be used
elsewhere. The sourceforge repository could use it and individual users
could employ it for their own homegrown plugins.

So there could be a little federation of plugin builds and they can all
be pushed to the repo. I've fixed the groupId bug so that should help
with this endeavour to i.e. pushing plugins in the right place.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Plugin plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 03:57, Rafal Krzewski wrote:

> It's nice to see that maven.xml files were factored out of specific
> plugins' directories, but I believe that a plugin plugin is the way to
> go. Some maven plugins are built outside maven proper and we expect this
> will be even more widespread in the future.

Yes, definitely. Dion and I chatted yesterday and the plugin plugin will
be going in soon. There is all kinds of cool stuff like automatic doco
generation and building. Should be a snap to make a plugin.

> > So there could be a little federation of plugin builds and they can all
> > be pushed to the repo. I've fixed the groupId bug so that should help
> > with this endeavour to i.e. pushing plugins in the right place.
>
> I read the above paragraph twice, but still can't grasp it. If it is of
> intrest to the general pulblic, please explain :)

A plugin build system will allow anyone to build any number of plugins
they wish easily. So there might be one at sourceforge, or one in a
maven repository, or wherever. The corrected groupId bug allows plugins
grouped, under maven say, together and deployed correctly. This was a
problem previously. The corrected information will also allow things
like 'maven -plugin maven-checkstyle-plugin' and it will be pulled down.

Just making the plugin universe easy.

> R.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl