Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonas Björnerstedt <Jo...@iui.se> on 2001/06/14 14:24:50 UTC

Visual editing of Struts tags

One of the main ideas of the MVC approach of Struts is making it easier for
non-programmers to do the view editing. Although the idea is great, the
problem for me as a developer is the lack of tools for editing JSP with
custom tags. I have some questions about this:

1) I know that Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 can be customized to Struts. Can this
be done with any other editors? It does not seem like WebSphere has this
feature. Sure, custom tags can be added, but there is little visual support.

2) Has someone written a good documentation of the Struts tags for
non-programmers that prefer to use text editors? Although the Struts
documentation is fantastic, it does require some programming knowledge.

3) One approach is to use html-code as much as possible until editors
support custom tags better. This means using the Struts controller, with a
minimal use of custom tags in the JSP files. The Blazix form tags is one
example of doing form editing in almost-html. Values are inserted into the
form by enclosing the form in tags

<blx:getProperty name=testBean property=*>
... html form...
</blx:getProperty>

Although the Struts tags are clearly better, this approach seems easier to
use with for example WebSphere. Unfortunately, the source code does not seem
to be available. Has anyone else done anything along these lines?

Jonas