Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Irshad Mungly <ir...@celsoft.co.za> on 2001/01/08 08:14:07 UTC

MULTIPART/FORM-DATA Error.

Hi everyone,

I do nt know if it is at this list that I was supposed to send this message.
I am new to JSP and Tomcat. I need to write a JSP and Java Bean to upload
a file to the server. I wrote a HTML FORM to accept the file name. (below).

When I used "multipart/form-data" in the form I get a servlet error.

Can anyone help or point me to some other link for help.

Thanks.

--------------- HTML FILE f1.html:
<FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" method="post" action="f2.jsp">
Your Name <input type="TEXT" name="username" > <br>
Email <input type="TEXT" name="emailaddr" > <br>
File Name <input type="FILE" name="filename" > <br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
<input type="reset" value="Reset">
</FORM>

--------------- JSP FILE f2.jsp:

<%@ page import="FileUpload.fup" %>
<jsp:useBean id="mybean" scope="page" class="FileUpload.fup" />
<jsp:setProperty name="mybean" property="*" />
<% mybean.processRequest(request); %>
<FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" method="post">
Your Name. <input type="text" name="username" size="50"> <br>
Email . <input type="text" name="emailaddr" size="50"> <br>
File Name. <input type="file" name="filename" size="50"> <br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
<input type="reset" value="Reset">
</FORM>

--------------- fup.java:

package FileUpload;

import java.io.*;
import java.util.Hashtable;
import java.util.Enumeration;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.util.Random;

public class fup extends HttpServlet
{

private String username;
private String filename;
private String emailaddr;
private String messageline;

// By default, 1Mb max file size per file;
protected int MaxSize = 1024*1024*1; // 1MB

public fup()
{
username = null;
filename = null;
emailaddr = null;
messageline =null;
}

public void setUsername( String name )
{
username = name;
}

public void setFilename( String name )
{
filename = name;
}

public void setEmailaddr( String name )
{
emailaddr = name;
}

public String getUsername()
{
return username;
}

public String getFilename()
{
return filename;
}

public String getEmailaddr()
{
return emailaddr;
}

public void setMessageline( String name )
{
messageline = name;
}

public String getMessageline()
{
return messageline;
}

public void processRequest(HttpServletRequest req)
throws ServletException, IOException
{
Hashtable table;
String l_msg;

if (emailaddr.equals("email"))
setMessageline("Submit Email Address");
else
setMessageline("Else Submit File");

// Check if the Form had Multipart/Form-data set
l_msg = req.getContentType();
if (!req.getContentType().toLowerCase().startsWith("multipart/form-data"))
{
l_msg = "Wrong content " + req.getContentType();
setMessageline(l_msg);
return;
}

setMessageline("OK");
return;
}
}

Re: MULTIPART/FORM-DATA Error.

Posted by Andrew Cockburn <ac...@aqualog.co.uk>.
Hi,

I'm still not sure I understand what you are trying to do -

If you have a working example of an HTML form, just rename it .jsp and you have a working jsp to upload the data. An upload needs something to talk to, so you need a servlet. As far as I understand it you already have this working so I don't know why you want to convert it to a JSP and BEAN in the way you are trying to. In any case - the above is what I have working, and I don't know of any other way of doing it.

Regards,

Andrew
Posted by Irshad Mungly <ir...@celsoft.co.za>.
Hi  Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Cockburn <ac...@aqualog.co.uk>.
HI,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do here - I have an HTML form that uploads to a servlet running in Tomcat, and that works fine.

I am not sure what you are trying to do with your JSP - it doesn't look like it could work (what is the forms action set to ?)  but maybe this is just ignorance on my part.

Andrew

Hi everyone,I do nt know if it is at this list that I was supposed to send this message.I am new to JSP and Tomcat. I need to write a JSP and Java Bean to uploada file to the server. I wrote a HTML FORM to accept the file name. (below).When I used "multipart/form-data" in the form I get a servlet error.Can anyone help or point me to some other link for help.Thanks.--------------- HTML FILE f1.html:<FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" method="post" action="f2.jsp">   Your Name <input type="TEXT" name="username"  &g!

Posted by Irshad Mungly <ir...@celsoft.co.za>.
Hi Andrew,