Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> on 2003/05/16 02:43:10 UTC

mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time

I have generated another mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution after
one more round of testing and fixing how mod_jk interacts with
mod_alias and mod_dir.  I also found that the non thread safe strtok
function could be compiled in instead of strtok_r.  This could be
a problem for systems running Apache 2 with the threaded worker MPM.

I tested different combinations of using JkAutoAlias and Alias to
configure Apache 2 to serve static content while passing on requests
which match the JkMount's to Tomcat.  I also tested to make sure
that Tomcat would get passed requests for an index.jsp if it were
configured as a DirectoryIndex.

Please build and test the mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution one more time.

And thanks to all of you who have been building and testing mod_jk 1.2.3.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time

Posted by David Rees <db...@greenhydrant.com>.
Glenn Nielsen said:
> So that we don't have to keep bumping the rev number I would
> like to make sure that the mod jk 1.2.x release has been tested
> on as many platforms as possible before making an official release.

Maybe I'm missing something, but instead of making dozens of fake releases
do one of a few things:

1. Instruct people who want to test on other platforms to download the
code from CVS. (IE, don't do anything!)

2. Adopt the release plan the other Apache projects use (don't worry about
revision numbers, but label them alpha, beta or production quality)

3. Use a new naming scheme which includes beta and or release-candidate
release (1.2.4-rc1)

4. Just do the release and increment revisions as necessary.  If a small
bug is found, fix it and bump up the revision number and who cares that a
release number is "wasted".

It seems that any one of these methods would be better than having
multiple 1.2.4 releases out there floating around.  IMO, not releasing the
release to the main server doesn't make a difference, the code will still
be out there floating around unless you give it a different revision.  I
prefer option #4 with #2 close behind.

-Dave

Re: mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
So that we don't have to keep bumping the rev number I would
like to make sure that the mod jk 1.2.x release has been tested
on as many platforms as possible before making an official release.

How about this.  I build a mod_jk 1.2.4 source distribution and
make it available at cvs.apache.org/~glenn/ for us to use for
doing test builds for different platforms.  If there are no problems
we could then move the source to the official release directory and
those who have built binaries could then do the same.  If there is
a problem we can just continue to work without having to bump the
revision since it was never released.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>>> It's a third revision or what?
>>>
>>> Wouldn't be better to increment the version to 1.2.4, and forget all
>>> about 1.2.3.
>>> I already have 3 1.2.3 versions, and that is a little bit confusing.
>>

>> I agree, let's go for a 1.2.4
>>

> Works for me.  I was holding back from doing that until we are sure we
> have a build we can release.
>
> Please test the latest source either from CVS or from the 1.2.3 source
> distribution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> GLenn

Any date for 1.2.4 release ?

Re: mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>>> It's a third revision or what?
>>>
>>> Wouldn't be better to increment the version to 1.2.4, and forget all
>>> about 1.2.3.
>>> I already have 3 1.2.3 versions, and that is a little bit confusing.
>>

>> I agree, let's go for a 1.2.4
>>

> Works for me.  I was holding back from doing that until we are sure we
> have a build we can release.
>
> Please test the latest source either from CVS or from the 1.2.3 source
> distribution.

It works for me (Apache 2.0.45 MPM / Linux)

But I didn't have the Alias trick

Re: mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>.
Agreed.  Having 2 version 1.2.3's floating around in the world will
cause trouble.  Once sources are up in a "release" directory and labels
version X, they can't change without X changing -- else all discussions
about bugs, etc, are discussing apples and oranges.

--
Jess Holle

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
It's a third revision or what?

Wouldn't be better to increment the version to 1.2.4, and forget all
about 1.2.3.
I already have 3 1.2.3 versions, and that is a little bit confusing.

MT.