Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by plunchete <pl...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/23 11:48:00 UTC

Google Summer Of Code

Gentlemen,

In first place my congratulations for the project you are executing.

My name is Ignacio Andreu, I´m 22 years old from Zaragoza (Spain) and I´m
currently studying Computer Technical  Engineering. I´m a java programer
since 4 years and co-founder of the Java User Group at my university.

I´d like to participate in the Google Summer of Code and contribute with
this project. I´ve been waiting a long time to take part in a project of
free software and I´m eager to learn about JPA. I´d love being involved in
this project because I could have both things....there´s nothing better to
learn about something than actually being part of its development!!

I'd like to hear your opinion and if possible that you propose tasks that I
could do during this period, what I´m looking for in a task that represents
a challenge and with it start my collaboration in this project.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Ignacio Andreu

Re: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by plunchete <pl...@gmail.com>.
2007/3/26, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>:

> AIUI the deadline for students is today so time is short and Ignacio
> needs to apply very quickly
>
> - robert

This is my proposal, I didn't want to wait for the last moment.

Ignacio

------------------------------

Title: Streaming LOB SUport (for OpenJPA)
-Project

OpenJPA is a 100% open-source implementation of the Java Persistence API
(JPA), which is the persistence component for EJB in the Java EE 5
specification (part of JSR-220).

JPA combines the best ideas of other persintence technology, such as
Hibernate, JDO and TopLink

The fields BLOB and CLOB of sql are translated for the Java programmer in
the java.io.InputStream (for BLOBs) and java.io.Reader (for CLOBs) types,
the objective of this project is to provide a serialization in database of
these objects in a natural way.

-Deliverables

A code that das this functionality to the OpenJDO library in a transparent
way for the user.

Battery of testo f unity and functionals of code in this Project with JUnit.

- Benefits for the Apache community:

Java Persistence API is one of the most important parts of the JEE
specification, the project OpenJPA provides the community a free
implementation of the persistant layer for EJB. The impementation of this
new feature allows the user a m ore intuitive usage of the BLOBL and CLOB
fields of SQL.

-Design / Approach:

Feature definition. Way of use: try to make it so it can be used in the most
intuitive way

Binding definition among the java.io.InputStream and java.io.Reader objects
for BLOB and CLOB respectively.

I believe that to provide the user of an abstraction of the database and
execute the funtionality of this feature on several databases is something
necesary, moreover something required.

- About me:

My name is Ignacio Andreu, I´m 22 years old from Zaragoza (Spain) and I´m
finishing my studies of Computer Engineering.

One year ago I worked as Java Developer in "cierzo development" (
http://www.cierzo-development.com/ ) for 3 monts. I developed an aplication
for web positioning, using open-source tools like heritrix as crawler and
SQL Server as data base.

Actualy I'm working as J2EE developer in Tool Banking Solutions while
finishing my university studies ( http://www.tb-solutions.com/ ) making a
web aplication for the Comunity of Madrid, the application is a pay
plataform to pay taxes. This aplication uses electronic certificates and
criptography.

 I was co-founder of the Java User Group of my university and I have given
courses, as teacher, in my university about J2EE.

Knowledge in Java platform: J2ME, J2SE, JSE, J2EE, Servlets, JSP's, Struts,
JDBC, Hibernate, Swing, MIDP 1.0 y 2.0, Threads, Java2d, Java3d, Reflection,
Collections.

Regarding academical achievements I got graduated with honors in the subject
"Practicas de Programación", the aplication I made consisted of a framework
for the creation of interfaces for Swing user using XML files.

 I deeply relieve that taking part in the Google Summer of Code is a
fantastic oportunity for a student to get envolved in a project of free
software surrounded by professionals. I can´t wait to get started!

Re: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/07, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the links. I skimmed through them and put together
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007#openjpa-streaming-lobs.
> Could someone in the know take a look at that and let me know if it
> looks right?

looks ok to me but more eyeballs, the better

> Also, the code.google.com docs mention that any communication from the
> student to the project before the project is approved is looked upon
> favorably. How do we go about highlighting Ignacio's initiative to the
> deciders at Google?

not sure (i've never been a mentor). community AT apache is probably a
good place to ask.

RE: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
Thanks for the links. I skimmed through them and put together
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007#openjpa-streaming-lobs.
Could someone in the know take a look at that and let me know if it
looks right?

Also, the code.google.com docs mention that any communication from the
student to the project before the project is approved is looked upon
favorably. How do we go about highlighting Ignacio's initiative to the
deciders at Google?

Thanks,

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

by email and then delete it.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Google Summer Of Code- subject change pls , from shameless plug to summer of JPA

Posted by Bruce Benfield <bb...@us.ibm.com>.
plunchete <pl...@gmail.com>
03/25/2007 03:32 PM
Please respond to
open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org

open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Google Summer Of Code

2007/3/25, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>:

> > http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topi
> > c=10729 .
>
> > Finally, if you agree about the time frame, I'm going to choose the
> > OPENJPA-130
>
> A few process questions:
>
> 1. What are our (the OpenJPA community and the Apache organization)
> commitments and responsibilities in this process? I don't see Apache
listed
> as a mentoring organization at http://code.google.com/soc/2006/ (last
> year's program page), and I don't see an updated list for this year.
Does
> Apache / OpenJPA need to be a mentoring organization, or is the
mentoring
> organization decoupled from the codebase that is worked on?

I´ve double checked and Apache is a mentoring organization ('The Apache
Software Fundation'). What I need is a volunteer mentor to supervise my
work
in the project.

2. The OpenJPA project is licensed under the ASL. I think that this means
> that in order for your work to become part of OpenJPA, you must attach
any
> patches to be included to the JIRA issue and choose the 'Grant license
> ASF' option. Further, I believe that this means that the ASF will have
> shared non-exclusive copyright assignment to the code, although IANAL.
Is
> this a problem for you?

 No, this is no a problem. You can view the projects of last year. In this
link you can find an example:

 http://code.google.com/p/intellij-idea-maven-plugin/

3. I noticed that you must periodically upload code to
> http://code.google.com/hosting. Does this mean that the entire OpenJPA
> codebase must be uploaded there, or is this just a means for monitoring
your
> progress by Google?

 According to the conditions showed in the FAQ I must upload just the code
of my project.

Thanks, and looking forward to working with you on the project,

Thanks

Ignacio

-Patrick

Re: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by plunchete <pl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
> http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60325&topi
> c=10729 .

> Finally, if you agree about the time frame, I'm going to choose the
> OPENJPA-130

A few process questions:

1. What are our (the OpenJPA community and the Apache organization) commitments and responsibilities in this process? I don't see Apache listed as a mentoring organization at http://code.google.com/soc/2006/ (last year's program page), and I don't see an updated list for this year. Does Apache / OpenJPA need to be a mentoring organization, or is the mentoring organization decoupled from the codebase that is worked on?

2. The OpenJPA project is licensed under the ASL. I think that this means that in order for your work to become part of OpenJPA, you must attach any patches to be included to the JIRA issue and choose the 'Grant license to ASF' option. Further, I believe that this means that the ASF will have shared non-exclusive copyright assignment to the code, although IANAL. Is this a problem for you?

Re: Google Summer Of Code

Posted by plunchete <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: Google Summer Of Code