Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com> on 2006/10/18 15:55:07 UTC

SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

I'm noticing in 3.1.7 here that SA children are entering the K state
but not disappearing from the proc list, leaving me with eventually
many hung SA items and no running children as I hit the max child
limit. I've NOT seen the behavior in 3.1.5 which I've gone back to as
of last evening.

Has anyone else noticed this and if so is there are cause/solution for
it out there? What can I provide to help with the solution??

Thanks,

===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
georgek@netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186

Re: [Devel-spam] SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, George R. Kasica wrote:

I'm having the same issue with 3.1.7 under FreeBSD 5.4 -- all patches
applied to gocr/giftext.

-Dan

>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:20:06 -0500, you wrote:

"She's been getting attacked by these leeches, they're leaving these marks
all over her neck. You gotta keep her out of those woods.  If one more
leech gets her, she's gonna get a smack."

-Someone's Mother, December 18th, 1998

Re: SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com>.

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Re: tmp files being left over from FuzzyOCR?

Posted by Chris Lear <ch...@laculine.com>.
* Bill wrote (19/10/06 14:03):
>     Since I installed FuzzyOCR I've noticed I'm having a lot of files named
> similar to  .spamassassin8932mZBFrtmp  left in my /tmp folder. These are
> from FuzzyOCR, correct? The content of these files has lots of spaces,
> hyphens, commas with a few readable words and the word "picture" a few
> times.
>
>     Is there something I need to do to ensure these files are removed? After
> I manually remove them I see new tmp files being created and removed but
> sometimes a file is NOT removed.

I suspect that if you look in your FuzzyOCR log, you will find errors
that match the unremoved temp files.

Eg from my FuzzyOCR.log:

[2006-10-18 10:10:47] Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
                       Please check that all helper programs are
installed and in the correct path.
                       (Pipe Command "/usr/bin/gifasm -d
/tmp/.spamassassin2591CHsvrEtmp/out", Pipe exit code 1 (""), Temporary
file: "/tmp/.spamassassin2591dNqOn7tmp")

I see that /tmp/.spamassassin2591CHsvrEtmp/ is still there, but
/tmp/.spamassassin2591dNqOn7tmp isn't.

And another example:

[2006-10-18 09:34:24] FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10" seconds.

#ls -l /tmp/.spamassassin* | grep 09:34
-rw-------  1 spamd users     0 Oct 18 09:34 /tmp/.spamassassin2589Wc3z7Gtmp
-rw-------  1 spamd users 23579 Oct 18 09:34 /tmp/.spamassassin2589yvpP1Htmp

Looks like when gifasm fails, you get a dir left over. If there's a
timeout, you get a file left over.

Chris

tmp files being left over from FuzzyOCR?

Re: SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
George R. Kasica wrote:

> I've got my timeout here higher at 60 (slower box) and am not seeing
> timeout errors or any K processes with 3.1.5 since switching back. It
> only started with SA 3.1.7 so I'm thinking its something there thats
> causing the issue.

I don't see anything in the 3.1.6/3.1.7 change logs that would even come
close to affecting this.  Reports by others don't suggest that this is a
problem with 3.1.6+ either.

Daryl

Re: SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
> >> I'll second this, SA 3.1.5 & FuzzyOCR on RHEL-AS4
> >>
> >> I've been seeing this off & on ever since I added FuzzyOCR.
> >> Logs seem to correlate to FuzzyOCR processing a gif image during a
> >> peak of messages. Get FuzzyOcr.log message:
> >>      FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10" seconds.
> >>

> >I'm running SA 3.1.5 with FuzzyOCR. I'm seeing errors in the FuzzOCR
> >log, like this:
> >

> >[2006-10-18 09:34:24] FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10"
seconds.
> >[2006-10-18 09:49:14] FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10"
seconds.
> >[2006-10-18 10:09:26] Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
> >                    Please check that all helper programs are installed
> >and in the correct path.
> >                        (Pipe Command "/usr/bin/gifasm -d
> >/tmp/.spamassassin2589Eye8ALtmp/out", Pipe exit code 1 (""), Temporary
> >file: "/tmp/.spamassassin25893ZSX3Ltmp")
> >

> >But I'm no longer getting children in the K state, since I put a spamd
> >restart into the logrotate script. I haven't turned off FuzzyOCR which
> >is doing an excellent job for me.
> >
> >This isn't particularly conclusive, I'm afraid, because when I was
> >seeing the problem it was sporadic and occasional, so it might just be
> >luck, though it's been OK for a few days.
>
> I've got my timeout here higher at 60 (slower box) and am not seeing
> timeout errors or any K processes with 3.1.5 since switching back. It
> only started with SA 3.1.7 so I'm thinking its something there thats
> causing the issue.
>
> ===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
> President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
> Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
> http://www.netwrx1.com
> georgek@netwrx1.com
> ICQ #12862186

It may be too soon to tell, but so far this seems to be working for me:
 - went back to SA 3.1.7
 - switched from FuzzyOCR 2.3b to FuzzyOCR 2.3rc1
 - commented out the FUZZY_OCR_KNOWN_MD5 rule - the rule was there but all
the options for it were already commented out

Under this configuration spamassassin has been running well again on my
FreeBSD machine.  This ran since about 3:00pm yesterday (10-18-06) through
midnight, when some cleanup jobs reverted is back to not using FuzzyOCR.  I
put it back in place this morning and it's been running great for about 2
hours now.  By the dates on the website it looks like the 2.3rc1 version is
just a little older than the 2.3b, but it's working without the hung
processes.

And I was also getting the "FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10"
seconds." errors, but am not (yet anyway) under this configuration.

Sandy

Re: SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com>.

Posted by Chris Lear <ch...@laculine.com>.

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Sandy S wrote:

> Daryl -
> I switched back to 3.1.5 after my last post, and am sorry to report that I'm
> still seeing the same issue under 3.1.5.  After running a while, the
> processes in a state of K start building up until I manually kill them.
>
> Regretfully (VERY regretfully) turning off FuzzyOCR.....
>
> Sandy

I'll second this, SA 3.1.5 & FuzzyOCR on RHEL-AS4

I've been seeing this off & on ever since I added FuzzyOCR.
Logs seem to correlate to FuzzyOCR processing a gif image during a
peak of messages. Get FuzzyOcr.log message:
     FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10" seconds.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: SA 3.1.7 children hang but don't die

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com>.

>> >I've been seeing this (or something similar) with 3.1.5, and I reported
>> >it, with a similarly suspect subject line, a few days ago.
>> OK. Well, assuming I don't end up in FBI custody for my poor choice of
>> words.....
>>
>> >My best guess is that it's related to logrotate. I've added a spamd
>> >restart (SIGHUP should do it) after logrotate runs, and I'm not seeing
>> >the problem any more. But, since it occurs unpredictably, I may be
>> >speaking too soon. There are a few bugzilla entries that might be
>> >relevant. Eg http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=4237
>> >and http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=4316
>> I have one log rotate about 0400 here and a full restart of the mail
>> system at 0500 every day to keep things happy and I'm seeing this
>> later in the day say 9-10am so I don't think its log rotate related.
>>
>> Those bugs are not what I'm seeing, I'm seeing totally stuck in K
>> state children that won't go away until you go out and start killing
>> procs.
>
>Seeing the exact same thing here, running SA 3.1.7 on FreeBSD.  My logs
>rotate once a day at midnight, and I can kill spamd and restart spamassassin
>during the day and very quickly these "undead" processes start building up.
>On my box it's definitely related to FuzzyOCR - I turn off FuzzyOCR and the
>problem goes away.
>
>The problem is I LOVE FuzzyOCR - it kills a lot of spam!  I will probably
>try going back to SA 3.1.5 and see if that fixes it.

Sandy:

Posted by Sandy S <sa...@boreal.org>.
> >* George R. Kasica wrote (18/10/06 14:55):
> >> I'm noticing in 3.1.7 here that SA children are entering the K state
> >> but not disappearing from the proc list, leaving me with eventually
> >> many hung SA items and no running children as I hit the max child
> >> limit. I've NOT seen the behavior in 3.1.5 which I've gone back to as
> >> of last evening.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed this and if so is there are cause/solution for
> >> it out there? What can I provide to help with the solution??
> >
> >I've been seeing this (or something similar) with 3.1.5, and I reported
> >it, with a similarly suspect subject line, a few days ago.
> OK. Well, assuming I don't end up in FBI custody for my poor choice of
> words.....
>
> >My best guess is that it's related to logrotate. I've added a spamd
> >restart (SIGHUP should do it) after logrotate runs, and I'm not seeing
> >the problem any more. But, since it occurs unpredictably, I may be
> >speaking too soon. There are a few bugzilla entries that might be
> >relevant. Eg http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=4237
> >and http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/show_bug.cgi?id=4316
> I have one log rotate about 0400 here and a full restart of the mail
> system at 0500 every day to keep things happy and I'm seeing this
> later in the day say 9-10am so I don't think its log rotate related.
>
> Those bugs are not what I'm seeing, I'm seeing totally stuck in K
> state children that won't go away until you go out and start killing
> procs.
>
> George, Nazarene(6/1/99- ), Ginger/The Beast Kasica(8/1/88-3/19/01,
1/17/02-), MR. Tibbs(8/1/90-5/24/06)

Posted by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com>.