Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Martin Grund <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID> on 2022/10/14 07:36:03 UTC

Enforcing scalafmt on Spark Connect - connector/connect

Hi folks,

I'm reaching out to ask to gather input / consensus on the following
proposal: Since Spark Connect is effectively new code, I would like to
enforce scalafmt explicitly *only* on this module by adding a check in
`dev/lint-scala` that checks if there is a diff after running

 ./build/mvn -Pscala-2.12 scalafmt:format -Dscalafmt.skip=false -pl
connector/connect

I know that enforcing scalafmt is not desirable on the existing code base
but since the Spark Connect code is very new I'm thinking it might reduce
friction in the code reviews and create a consistent style.

In my previous code reviews where I have applied scalafmt I've
received feedback on the import grouping that scalafmt is changing
different from our default style. I've prepared a PR
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/38252 to address this issue by
explicitly setting it in the scalafmt option.

Would you be supportive of enforcing scalafmt *only* on the Spark Connect
module?

Thanks
Martin

Re: Enforcing scalafmt on Spark Connect - connector/connect

Posted by Martin Grund <ma...@databricks.com.INVALID>.
I have prepared the following pull request that enforces scalafmt on the
Spark Connect module. Please feel free to have a look and leave comments.
If we're reaching consensus on the decision, I will take care of pushing a
PR as well for the previously mentioned website to add a small note on
using `dev/lint-scala` for local style checks.

Thanks
Martin

Posted by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com>.
+1, I also think it's a good idea.