Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/12/13 10:16:38 UTC

keywords

The keywords seem awfully lengthy. I'd like to suggest some alternatives:

LastChangedRevision -> Revision
LastChangedDate -> Date
LastChangedBy -> Author

HeadURL (no change)

The "LastChanged" seems self-evident and (therefore) redundant.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: keywords

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
This sounds good, but for post-1.0.

-K

Re: keywords

Date: LastChangedDate
Author: LastChangedBy

Re: keywords

Posted by Alexander Mueller <al...@littleblue.de>.
So what about internationalization?

Id will understand almost everybody.
LastChangedDate sounds like English, probably it is English?

I know, this is kind of heavy. But its not all just Egnlish speaking. And I know a lot of customers that are willing to accept "Id", but never "LastChangedDate".

Re: keywords

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: keywords

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> Seems like overkill, though I can't think of any particular cases where
> it would cause a problem.
>
> How is the client supposed to know what the last changed revision is, by
> the way?

Very perceptive question. :-)

It's going to have to come down in the update stream; we can intercept
special editor change_foo_prop() calls to set it in the entries file.
For commits, the rev bumping function will do it of course.

I think it was Ben or Mike who thought up this solution.

-K

Re: keywords

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Re: keywords

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:
> > LastChangedRevision -> Revision
> > LastChangedDate -> Date
> > LastChangedBy -> Author
> >
> > HeadURL (no change)
> >

> > The "LastChanged" seems self-evident and (therefore) redundant.
>
> I thought it was necessary, and argued hard with Mike and Ben for
> including the "LastChanged" prefix.  But now that I actually see it in
> examples, I have to agree with you three -- it's annoying.
>
> +1 on the shorter versions.

Duh.  I forgot the most obvious answer:

We should support both ways.  If your audience needs long keywords
whose meaning is immediately clear, use those; if your audience is
other Subversion users, use the shorter ones.

Hmmm. Is it bad to have a few different forms of each keyword?  Will
that just be more confusing?

-K

Re: keywords

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.