Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ma...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de> on 2001/03/21 14:33:08 UTC

How to identify ID attributes

Dear DOM-Gurus,

is there a way to recognise that a specific attribute is of type ID or
NMTOKEN ?

I use a validating parser, and while traversing my DOM tree, I need
information about the type of attributes:

* is it a namespace definition (can be easily detected)
* is it of type ID (based of DTD or Schema) - how do I do that?
* is it of type IDREF or IDREFS or NMTOKEN or NMTOKENS?

Is there an "easy" way to get this info?

Best regards,

Christian

Xerces/DOM: Identify ID attributes without XML validation

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ma...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.
Dear Xerces-(DOM)-users,

I have a problem:

Can I identify ID or NMTOKEN attributes without validating the document?
"Canonical XML", Section 2.1 "Data Model" states:

<SNIP URL="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315" >
   The input octet stream MUST contain a well-formed
   XML document, but the input need not be validated.
   However, the attribute value normalization and entity
   reference resolution MUST be performed in accordance
   with the behaviors of a validating XML processor.
   As well, nodes for default attributes (declared in
   the ATTLIST with an AttValue but not specified) are
   created in each element. Thus, the declarations
   in the document type declaration are used to help
   create the canonical form, even though the
   document type declaration is not retained
   in the canonical form.
</SNIP>

I have to:

 - make ID attribute normalisation
 - resolve entity references
 - detect default attributes

without javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.setValidating(true)

Is this possible?

Best regards,
Christian