Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2020/11/09 21:34:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Consider truncating CHANGES.md files on new release branches

Heya,

The CHANGES.md file on branch-2.3 weighs in at over 1mb and is too big for
Github to render. Its content covers back to 0.99. This isn't really usable
by someone who wants to easily see what's new in the latest patch release.

I propose we truncate these changes files to what's new for the release
branch. It probably needs some more work, but the git-jira audit script [0]
is able to generate a report of what's new (never previously released) for
a target release-line branch. We could use this as the basis for the
CHANGES file when starting a new release-line branch. From then on, Yetus
takes care of the patch release updates.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Nick

[0]:
https://github.com/apache/hbase/tree/master/dev-support/git-jira-release-audit

Re: [DISCUSS] Consider truncating CHANGES.md files on new release branches

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Idea was CHANGEs.md + RELEASENOTES.md would have all changes listed, not
some subset, per Seans' text diagram. Should be accumulative. The build
scripts take care of making the new additions for you.

If the files have become large, lets add links to files that list changes
<1.0.0 and then changes between 1.0.0 and 2.0.0 on the tail of these files?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> Like this?
>
> https://gist.github.com/apurtell/f5959f36b0b13d5e92f35b22549020cc

Looks good to me. 2.3.0 CHANGELOG doesn't display because it is too big --
it is an accumulation of all changes up to 2.3 (good IMO) whereas 2.2+2.1,
etc. are just the changes in those releases versus the previous version --
but you can view the 'raw version' of the 2.3 doc which is good enough I
think.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> Like this?
>
> https://gist.github.com/apurtell/f5959f36b0b13d5e92f35b22549020cc

+1 !

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Like this?

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Consider truncating CHANGES.md files on new release branches

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Consider truncating CHANGES.md files on new release branches

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 3:37 AM Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> We've talked for some time about possibly including release notes / changes
> for just those things in each individual release on the website before.
> Would adding something like that be sufficient for the use you're thinking
> of?

Having a page on the site dedicated to this would suit my needs, but maybe
it's overkill if we can just "get it right" for the release tags visible on
github. My objective is giving a user-friendly and self-service answer to
an operator or developer asking, "why should I upgrade? / what's new in
this release?" The existing CHANGES.md file on the release tag would work,
except that the markdown doesn't render on Github due to size.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.
+1 for restricting CHANGES.md contents with what’s new after latest release
on the respective release line.