Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Tal Blum <ta...@quigo.com> on 2002/01/03 12:54:41 UTC

boolean query

I have 2 questions.
1) how does a boolean query implemented, for example if I have a boolean
query of (term1 or term2) does the boolean performs scoring on all the
documents in the index in order to answare the query, or it just goes over
all the documents that contain term1 or term2.
this question is very important for very large indexes, where the number of
hits may be very small, but going over all the documents is very expensive.

2) when lucene indexes documents, does it stores the index sorted by
frequancies of a term in a document? or more specifically, does IndexReader
method termDocs return a TermDocs that is sorted or do I have to go over all
the docs to get the ones that the term occured more frequently?

tal.

Re: boolean query

Posted by Winton Davies <wd...@cs.stanford.edu>.
Its a Java library (jar file), rather than a standalone text retrieval system.
Just un-tar the lucene-gump, and it will create a directory hierarchy.
 From there you will have to do some programming.

Winton

>How install LUCENE?
>I have downloaded files, but I not undestand how install to run.
>
>Carmine
>

>--

Winton Davies
Lead Engineer, Overture (NSDQ: OVER)