Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Landgren <da...@landgren.net> on 2006/04/05 15:38:06 UTC

RFC: ruleset to tag French-language hoax virus warnings

List,

if you have a significant number of French-language users, I'd love to
have some feedback on a ruleset to catch the endless virus hoax
messages. Things like "the worst ever according to CNN", "only
discovered yesterday, no rememdy, according to McAfee", "burns the
sector zero of your hard disk" and that sort of stuff, except in French.

   http://www.landgren.net/sa/

It works okay for me, although I should point out that I draw the line
at 8.0, so you might want reduce the scores a bit if you cut off at 5.0.

David

Re: RFC: ruleset to tag French-language hoax virus warnings

Posted by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at>.
On Mittwoch, 5. April 2006 15:48 Rick Macdougall wrote:
> Strange, I'm the Network admin for an ISP in Montreal, Quebec and
> I've never ever seen anything like that (about 30k email accounts,
> 90% French).

So you're either
1) happy
and
2) not subscribed to the wonderful spam lists

Post some of your e-mail addresses in some french newsgroup to receive
that fun.

Or, learn to know more stupid people. I keep on getting that "send this
e-mail to lots of people and microsoft pays you 243$ per recipient, as
bill gates gives away his money" kind of hoax from people who know me.
Recently I got one that made 23 hops already, with all e-mail addresses
ever sent to in it. Good food for spammers. I replied to all who
forwarded that mail, explaining them they are stupid, and that this
hoax is circulating the net since 1999....

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11

Re: RFC: ruleset to tag French-language hoax virus warnings

Posted by David Landgren <da...@landgren.net>.
Rick Macdougall wrote:
> David Landgren wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> if you have a significant number of French-language users, I'd love to
>> have some feedback on a ruleset to catch the endless virus hoax
>> messages. Things like "the worst ever according to CNN", "only
>> discovered yesterday, no rememdy, according to McAfee", "burns the
>> sector zero of your hard disk" and that sort of stuff, except in French.
>>
>>   http://www.landgren.net/sa/
>>
>> It works okay for me, although I should point out that I draw the line
>> at 8.0, so you might want reduce the scores a bit if you cut off at 5.0.
>>
>> David
>>

> Strange, I'm the Network admin for an ISP in Montreal, Quebec and I've
> never ever seen anything like that (about 30k email accounts, 90% French).

Maybe it's geographically limited to France, I dunno. We have about 1000
accounts, and the help desk regularly gets hit with panicky consultants
wondering whether they should forward it to the entire company and/or
their address book.

There's also the jdbgmr teddy bear virus hoax, but it hasn't come up on
my radar for quite some time now, so I lack a suitable corpus.

David

--
"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."

Re: RFC: ruleset to tag French-language hoax virus warnings

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
David Landgren wrote:
> List,
>
> if you have a significant number of French-language users, I'd love to
> have some feedback on a ruleset to catch the endless virus hoax
> messages. Things like "the worst ever according to CNN", "only
> discovered yesterday, no rememdy, according to McAfee", "burns the
> sector zero of your hard disk" and that sort of stuff, except in French.
>
>   http://www.landgren.net/sa/
>
> It works okay for me, although I should point out that I draw the line
> at 8.0, so you might want reduce the scores a bit if you cut off at 5.0.
>
> David

Strange, I'm the Network admin for an ISP in Montreal, Quebec and I've
never ever seen anything like that (about 30k email accounts, 90% French).

Regards,

Rick