Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2010/02/09 18:02:19 UTC

[core] Backwards compatibility (e.g. MYFACES-2543)

Deplyoing very simple JARs, like:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12435313/MyFaces_Test.jar

should work, out of the box. Doesn't the spec explicitly talk about this
for backward compatibility?
Sure, when you extend the "old" Facelets classes, you have to have it deployed
as well (and there is some parameter to disable Facelets2)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [core] Backwards compatibility (e.g. MYFACES-2543)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a bug to allow "old" facelets taglibs which are not marked with
> version="2.0" with the built-in facelets implementation.

do you mind filing one against them :-)
I wonder what they have to say for that...

-Matthias

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
we could make a special log entry instead of just ignoring old facelets
libraries.

...and you do not have to set the config parameter if the
com.sun.facelets.FaceletViewHandler is installed in the faces-config.
MyFaces does this automatically!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Yes.-.... this is a BUG it needs to support more than just 2.0
(Dan/Ed commented on the "open" list)

-Matthias

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ganesh <ga...@j4fry.org>.
IMHO the spec is very clear about this and the stuff in
the appendix is a spec bug. From the spec (10.1.2):

A decision was made early in this process to strive for backwards compatibility between the latest popular version of Facelets and Facelets in JSF 2.0. The sole determinant to backwards compatibility lies in the answer to the question, “is there any Java code in the application, or in libraries used by the application, that extends from or depends on any class in package com.sun.facelets and/or its sub-packages?”
■ If the answer to this question is “yes”, Facelets in JSF 2.0 is not backwards compatibile with Facelets and such an application must continue to bundle the Facelets jar file along with the application, continue to set the Facelets configuration parameters, and also set the javax.faces.DISABLE_FACELET_JSF_VIEWHANDLER
<context-param> to true. Please see Section 11.1.3 “Application Configuration Parameters” for details on this
option. Any code that extends or depends on any class in package com.sun.facelets and/or its sub-packages
must be modified to depend on the appropriate classes in package javax.faces.webapp.vdl and/or its subpackages.
■ If the answer to this question is “no”, Facelets in JSF 2.0 is backwards compatible with pre-JSF 2.0 Facelets and such an application must not continue to bundle the Facelets jar file along with the application, and must not continue to set the Facelets configuration parameters.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ganesh <ga...@j4fry.org>.
Many Facelets taglibs don't use Facelets tag handlers,
but simply wrap some xhtml templates. Nothing will stop
these libraries to work with MyFaces if we allow old
version taglibs.
If we insist on refusing them people will simply switch
to Mojarra to get their application to run. The argument

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
...and, of course, when you extend "old" Facelets classes, this is NOT
supported.

However the JSF spec has provided a backdoor:
==> javax.faces.DISABLE_FACELET_JSF_VIEWHANDLER

for that you need to ship old Facelets.

-Matthias

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.