Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Brian Robinson <br...@harvard.edu> on 2002/08/10 16:39:54 UTC

RE: Out of memory issues when compiling

I'm getting the same "out of memory error" as described below on compiles,
but when I tried
            form="yes"
            memoryInitialSize="128m"
            memoryMaximumSize="512m"

I got the message:
	Class org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac doesn't support the "fork" attribute
then when I took out the fork attribute I got:
	Class org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac doesn't support the
"memoryinitialsize" attribute when I got rid of the fork line

Any obvious clues on how to overcome this?

-brian

Seems like you covered most bases...

I'd try with:

<javac fork="yes"
        memoryInitialSize="512m"
        memoryMaximumSize="1024m">
</javac>

since you have 1GB RAM. We compile with mostly 2 <javac>, one with 1400
classes and the other with 1800 classes with the settings above, and we used
to compile it in one pass only. We're now trying to move away from such a
monolithic architecture, and have refactored quite a bit to better define
more independent layers that can be compiled independently (in the right
order). Using precompiled layers that the currently compiled layer depends
on makes compilation lighter on the memory side, and development easier
overall (separating the layers into there own sub-project).

The challenge is to go from a monolithic to a layered architecture... --DD