Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/25 15:26:24 UTC

[Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Hi all,

Total file count in W3C XMLSuite :2634 (this includes, valid, invalid
and illformed xmls too)

Of them, valid ones                    :960 (i.e. excluding invalid
and illformed xmls. However this includes XMLs of both versions 1.0
and 1.1)

Of them, valid XML1.0 ones         :832 (i.e excluding xmls from 1.1
version folders. Since the MXParser we have beneath is only 1.0
compliant)

On this final set, when OM is tested as is. 335 files got parsed
properly, and 309 files had the serialized XML matching the input file
(comparison test).

I've implemented OMComment and OMPI and did minimalistic OMDTD
(without validation etc.) support. And with those changes the parsing
rate increased to 735 and comparison success reached 567.

The parsing failures found can be attributed to one or more of the
following observations I could make. This is not an exhaustive list
though.

1. For files where XML declaration line has a mention of 'standalone'
attribute prior to 'encoding' attribute, underlying MXParser threw an
exception with a message reading something like "Expected 'e' in
encoding and not 's' ". Alek! Is this a known issue with STAX. What do
you think?

2. For files in which DTD declaration has right square bracket (']')
as a literal value of some entity, MXParser is treating it as end of
DTD declaration.

3. Some xmls having multi byte characters (UK currency pound sign
amongst others) are failing to get parsed with typical exception
messages like only whitespace content allowed before start tag and not
\ufffd. I have passed a "UTF-8" aware reader to the builder, do I need
to use something else here?

4. Apart from these because I couldn't implement the complete DTD info
set implementation, some more files are failing to get parsed.

Regarding the comparison, some of the observed reasons of failures are…

1. Many SYSTEM identifiers in DTD declarations used a relative
reference and so far we don't have considered 'baseURI' property (does
STAX parser provide one?) for any of the elements and hence the XML
comparator (xmlunit) couldn't resolve the system identifiers thereby
leading to a mismatch between the serialized xml and the original
input form.
2. Also since the DTD support is naïve, the presentation of data is
completely ignored thereby leading to scenarios like, serializing as
#PCDATA when DTD says CDATA. This also lead to significant comparison
failures.

Thanks
Jaya

--
-- Jaya

Re: [Axis2] XML + Namespaces + Base [Re: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Aleksander Slominski wrote:

> XML 1.0 makes "xml*" names reserved and XML Namespaces spec defines
> special xmlns* processing and additionally requires that namespace
> prefix xml is always bound to special namespace.

Yes I know .. but note that its the XML Namespaces spec that defines a
special
prefix for xmlns. (No one defines a special prefix for "xml"!). So, if
you're doing
XML 1.0 tests, there is no concept of a prefix - all you have is that
names starting
with the characters [xX][mM][lL] are reservered.

> it is additional specification http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/
> that is used when resolving relative links in XML documents
> and i do not think it is required in pure XML + Namespaces
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/

Right, and here we're talking about XML 1.0 tests; which means XML Base
doesn't come into consideration either.

> but nonetheless is popular and useful in some situations
> including SOAP 1.2:
> defined by this specification (see "SOAP uses XML Base [XML Base] for
> determining a base URI for relative URI references used as values in
> information items6. Use of URIs in SOAP)."
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/

Yep.

> so in conclusion OM needs to support: XML 1.0 + Namespaces + XML Base
> to support fully SOAP 1.2 though it is rarely used IMHO ...

OM needs to support the subset of XML 1.0 as used in SOAP + XML namespaces
+ XML Base. Other stuff is optional and is only necessary if OM is used
for more
general XML processing; which is not our primary concern.

To be clear, I'm not against someone extending OM to have full XML 1.0
support,
but IFF it has absolutely no performance or negative API impact on us.

Sanjiva.

[Axis2] XML + Namespaces + Base [Re: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>"jayachandra" <ja...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>-->A default namespace for 'xml' prefix is supposed to be in
>>the scopeof every XML element. I did a work around on my machine
>>as todeclaring this namespace inside the OMElementImpl constructor
>>methodsitself, before running the tests.
>>

>??? I have no idea what you're saying .. XML 1.0 has no concept
>of namespaces! XML 1.0 *+* Namespaces does but not the base XML
>spec.

XML 1.0 makes "xml*" names reserved and XML Namespaces spec defines
special xmlns* processing and additionally requires that namespace
prefix xml is always bound to special namespace.

>>-->The 'baseURI' property support is not provided by OM
>>insideOMElement. If we can keep track of this one thing in OM
>>it can help usreduce the number of parsed tests that fail at
>>comparison phase by agood number (a few fifties).
>>

>Hmmm. I am not certain but it seems to me that XML Base was
>a thing that built on namespaces? Alek you must know the
>definitive answer (or I guess I could check but .. ;-)).

it is additional specification http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/
that is used when resolving relative links in XML documents
and i do not think it is required in pure XML + Namespaces
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/
but nonetheless is popular and useful in some situations
including SOAP 1.2:
defined by this specification (see "SOAP uses XML Base [XML Base] for
determining a base URI for relative URI references used as values in
information items6. Use of URIs in SOAP)."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/

so in conclusion OM needs to support: XML 1.0 + Namespaces + XML Base
to support fully SOAP 1.2 though it is rarely used IMHO ...

>>And Sanjiva, just to be extra cautious that I don't give
>>out wrongsignals :-)... so far I tested OM against *only*
>>valid XMLs of 1.0version that should be parsed and serialized
>>using any infosetimplementation. We haven't tested OM against
>>how well it can _reject_invalid and ill-formed XMLs. They
>>actually form the larger fraction ofthe XMLsuite about 1800 :-(
>>

>Ah ok - yes we do care about failing on the bad ones!

those tests can be done independent of OM. i would not worry too much
about that as StAX *is* API and you can swap in any parser you need with
different speed/size/conformance trade-offs.

alek

Re: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"jayachandra" <ja...@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi!
> Sanjiva, we do have issues with OM as well.
> -->To start with,
> OM lacks PI, comments and DTD support. On my end, Iadded their
> implementation into OM code base and then ran the test.

These are not problems IMO :-). SOAP doesn't require them.
So I have no problem with us not being able to handle docs that
have stuff we know we won't get in the SOAP world.

> -->A default namespace for 'xml' prefix is supposed to be in
> the scopeof every XML element. I did a work around on my machine
> as todeclaring this namespace inside the OMElementImpl constructor
> methodsitself, before running the tests.

??? I have no idea what you're saying .. XML 1.0 has no concept
of namespaces! XML 1.0 *+* Namespaces does but not the base XML
spec.

> -->The 'baseURI' property support is not provided by OM
> insideOMElement. If we can keep track of this one thing in OM
> it can help usreduce the number of parsed tests that fail at
> comparison phase by agood number (a few fifties).

Hmmm. I am not certain but it seems to me that XML Base was
a thing that built on namespaces? Alek you must know the
definitive answer (or I guess I could check but .. ;-)).

> However, getting a 100% success is unlikely without *full*
> DTDimplementation built into OM. Alek was saying DTD support
> is not thatwell implemented in stAX, it seems, and if that
> be the need hesuggested to use woodstox.

Again doesn't bother me at all; YAGNI for SOAP.

> And Sanjiva, just to be extra cautious that I don't give
> out wrongsignals :-)... so far I tested OM against *only*
> valid XMLs of 1.0version that should be parsed and serialized
> using any infosetimplementation. We haven't tested OM against
> how well it can _reject_invalid and ill-formed XMLs. They
> actually form the larger fraction ofthe XMLsuite about 1800 :-(

Ah ok - yes we do care about failing on the bad ones!

> Thanks for all your supportByeJaya

Most welcome!

Sanjiva.

RE: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Jayachandra,

Talking about OM with invalid xmls. I think this should be handled in the
parser level, meaning if there is an un conformity to XML 1.0, parser should
throw an error. Isn't it ?

Are there any errors that are sliped from parser and should be detected in
the OM level. Mind you pure OM doesn't have any validation code, its just an
object model. Am I missing something ??

BTW : your email seems scrambled to me. Any problem with your mail server,
or mine (ohh !!)

-- Chinthaka

Posted by jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

[...]

Thanks for all your support
Bye
Jaya

--
-- Jaya

Re: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
jayachandra wrote:

>1. For files where XML declaration line has a mention of 'standalone'
>attribute prior to 'encoding' attribute, underlying MXParser threw an
>exception with a message reading something like "Expected 'e' in
>encoding and not 's' ". Alek! Is this a known issue with STAX. What do
>you think?

please submit description of the problem (including sample XML necessary
to reproduce it) to StAX issue tracker:
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=STAX

>2. For files in which DTD declaration has right square bracket (']')
>as a literal value of some entity, MXParser is treating it as end of
>DTD declaration.

that is the bug that is harder to fix but i plan to look on it (it is
not important for SOAP as there is no DTD ...)

>3. Some xmls having multi byte characters (UK currency pound sign
>amongst others) are failing to get parsed with typical exception
>messages like only whitespace content allowed before start tag and not
>\ufffd. I have passed a "UTF-8" aware reader to the builder, do I need
>to use something else here?

submit how to reproduce it (best if with sample code) to:
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=STAX

>4. Apart from these because I couldn't implement the complete DTD info
>set implementation, some more files are failing to get parsed.

if need DTDs try different parser - i think woodstox should handle DTDs:
http://woodstox.codehaus.org/

> Regarding the comparison, some of the observed reasons of failures are…
>
>1. Many SYSTEM identifiers in DTD declarations used a relative
>reference and so far we don't have considered 'baseURI' property (does
>STAX parser provide one?)

no

>for any of the elements and hence the XML
>comparator (xmlunit) couldn't resolve the system identifiers thereby
>leading to a mismatch between the serialized xml and the original
>input form.

you need to track this in your code (in OM) if it is needed.

>2. Also since the DTD support is naïve, the presentation of data is
>completely ignored thereby leading to scenarios like, serializing as
>#PCDATA when DTD says CDATA. This also lead to significant comparison
>failures.

not required for non-validating parser (and in particular irrelevant for
SOAP as DTDs are not allowed)

good work!

alek

Re: [Axis2] [Update] XMLConformace Testing Report.

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
The code alongwith the w3c conformance suite files, is checked into
the scratch area under ashu_jaya_venkat.

Good job Jaya !!

-- Venkat

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.