Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2022/04/26 08:56:09 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] Experimental ARM64 prod image for 2.3.0

As discussed in
https://lists.apache.org/thread/pqhks390dkso9x668gbnvjq6k6wv8h9h I am
calling for a lazy consensus on "Experimental ARM64 support for prod
images of Airflow in DockerHub".

Unless someone strongly objects  - in 72 hrs (Fri 29th 11am CET) we
will consider it agreed and I will proceed with documenting and
automating image publishing.

Context:

As of Airflow 2.3.0 we start releasing multi - platform Production
images (AMD64/ARM64) with ARM64 support marked as experimental.

The aim is to make ARM64 experimentally possible to run airflow on the
ARM platform and report any issues found so that we can fix them.

While we will not run the full suite of tests for ARM64 yet in CI, we
will eventually do so and then the "experimental" tag will be removed.

I hope we will do it together with our image achieving the "official"
Docker Image  status which is the ultimate goal of AIP-26
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-26+Production-ready+Airflow+Docker+Image

J.

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Experimental ARM64 prod image for 2.3.0

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Lazy consensus has been reached :).

Our new shiny 2.3.0 images are multi-platform (AMD64/ARM64) and you
can use your favourite Raspberry PI, MacOS M1 or even AWS Graviton to
run Airflow in production mode easily (and my gut feelings tell me
Google Cloud is going to announce ARM support rather sooner than
later).

That makes Airflow  ready for the paradigm shift in computing :). This
might be a little hidden feature of 2.3.0, but I think it might be an
enabler for many users of Airflow :).

This is still an experimental feature but you can start testing it now
and report any issues you find.

J.