Posted to users@maven.apache.org by aldana <al...@gmx.de> on 2007/08/15 18:08:04 UTC

invalid POM, why?

i am having problems with following dependency:

<dependency>
      <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
      <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
      <version>0.4</version>
</dependency>

it tells me that referenced pom is invalid:

<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
  <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
  <version>0.4</version>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.jvnet.staxex</groupId>
      <artifactId>stax-ex</artifactId>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>activation</groupId>
      <artifactId>activation</artifactId>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>

when doing mvn:compile [WARNING] is given on maven console build is
continued. but when executing assembly:assembly (from assembly plugin) build
is failing. it seems that a validate POM must be given so content can be
copied to assembly.

so my question: why is above POM invalid (does not look wrong to me). how
can i make it validate so my assembly:assembly goal works?

Re: invalid POM, why?

Posted by aldana <al...@gmx.de>.

aldana wrote:

> i am having problems with following dependency:
>
> <dependency>
>       <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
>       <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
>       <version>0.4</version>
> </dependency>
>
> it tells me that referenced pom is invalid:
>
> <project>
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>   <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
>   <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
>   <version>0.4</version>
>   <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.jvnet.staxex</groupId>
>       <artifactId>stax-ex</artifactId>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>activation</groupId>
>       <artifactId>activation</artifactId>
>     </dependency>
>   </dependencies>
> </project>
>
> when doing mvn:compile [WARNING] is given on maven console build is
> continued. but when executing assembly:assembly (from assembly plugin)
> build is failing. it seems that a validate POM must be given so content
> can be copied to assembly.
>
> so my question: why is above POM invalid (does not look wrong to me). how
> can i make it validate so my assembly:assembly goal works?

found out why: org.jvnet.staxex:stax-ex is from pom-version 3, which is
destroying my build. i am using assembly plugin 2.2-beta-1 which seems
cannot handle this...

Re: invalid POM, why?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
The problem is that this POM's dependencies do not have versions.
They can inherit versions from a dependencyManagement section (in a
parent POM or something), but this POM also doesn't specify a <parent/
 > section (which would need the groupId, artifactId, and version of
the parent POM).

Cheers,

-john

On Aug 15, 2007, at 12:08 PM, aldana wrote:

> i am having problems with following dependency:
>
> <dependency>
>       <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
>       <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
>       <version>0.4</version>
> </dependency>
>
> it tells me that referenced pom is invalid:
>
> <project>
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>   <groupId>com.sun.xml.stream.buffer</groupId>
>   <artifactId>streambuffer</artifactId>
>   <version>0.4</version>
>   <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.jvnet.staxex</groupId>
>       <artifactId>stax-ex</artifactId>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>activation</groupId>
>       <artifactId>activation</artifactId>
>     </dependency>
>   </dependencies>
> </project>
>
> when doing mvn:compile [WARNING] is given on maven console build is
> continued. but when executing assembly:assembly (from assembly
> plugin) build
> is failing. it seems that a validate POM must be given so content
> can be
> copied to assembly.
>
> so my question: why is above POM invalid (does not look wrong to
> me). how
> can i make it validate so my assembly:assembly goal works?

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org