Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Janis Langins <j....@utoronto.ca> on 2013/08/23 18:33:03 UTC

Connecting paragraph styles with numbering (list) styles

I am trying to construct an outline with nested headings for
lectures.  Following the online manual (ch. 7, p. 259) for Open
Office, I can create both Paragraph styles and Numbering styles but I
cannot seem to combine them.  Could I get some sources of information please?
Second problem:  I would like to transfer my new styles (if they
work) to a document consisting of bits and pieces of previous
documents with different styles and configure them to the new style
with consistent renumbering.  There is no information in the manual on this.
Microsoft word seems to have a renumber feature on their Outline mode
that renumbers a collections of cut and pasted documents to make the
heading in the new document sequential and consistent.  Open Office
does not seem to have this.  True?  False?
Any reference to solutions would be appreciated.
Janis Langins

Re: Connecting paragraph styles with numbering (list) styles

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Janis,

Janis Langins schrieb:
> Thanks to all for the advice regarding my query.  I shall try to see if
> I can successfully apply it and maybe with my current skills I should
> not be so ambitious.  Re Regina's request for the URL:  I cannot
> remember what iit s but this one
> (http://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/1/11/0200WG33-WriterGuideOOo.pdf) I
> got from the Open Office site and it seems to be pretty much the same as
> the one I am using with slight differences in pagination.  In the URL
> above it is ch. 7, page 233 (NOT ch. 7, p. 259) but everything else,
> including the text is the same.  Of course, in theory it is for the
> earlier 3.4 version, not for version 4 of Open Office, which is the one
> I am using.
> JL

That is not the right part for outline numbering. That is about list
numbering. The whole thing is not suitable for lectures.

Look for "Students' Guide for OpenOffice Writer",
http://www.fb4.fh-frankfurt.de/tips/openoffice/dokumentation/ooo_for_students.pdf
Or other guides which are written for students, who will write a paper.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Connecting paragraph styles with numbering (list) styles

Posted by Janis Langins <j....@utoronto.ca>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Janis,

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:57:21 +0100
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:33:03 -0400
> Janis Langins <j....@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to construct an outline with nested headings for
> > lectures.  Following the online manual (ch. 7, p. 259) for Open
> > Office, I can create both Paragraph styles and Numbering styles but I
> > cannot seem to combine them.  Could I get some sources of information please?
> > Second problem:  I would like to transfer my new styles (if they
> > work) to a document consisting of bits and pieces of previous
> > documents with different styles and configure them to the new style
> > with consistent renumbering.  There is no information in the manual on this.
> > Microsoft word seems to have a renumber feature on their Outline mode
> > that renumbers a collections of cut and pasted documents to make the
> > heading in the new document sequential and consistent.  Open Office
> > does not seem to have this.  True?  False?
> > Any reference to solutions would be appreciated.
> > Janis Langins

> I don't do paragraph numbering so am not much help. However this tutorial might get be of help
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=58558
>
> I have a vague memory that there is (was?) an extension that applied a new template to an existing document, but cannot find it in the extensions repository. If I do, I'll post back.
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

I've located the Templat Changer extension. It is at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/template-changer

Whether it works on AOO 4.0, and how it is used, I cannot say

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Connecting paragraph styles with numbering (list) styles

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.