Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> on 2020/08/11 18:03:48 UTC

variations in code coverage

I've been wondering why the code coverage changes from time to time,
like this:

The reasons are not the current problems, it is something with the
preflight subproject, and it happens when the host changes, i.e. that
the build starts clean. I'm not researching this further at this time
but wanted to share the very few things I found out.

Tilman

PS: our reported code coverage has increased from 45.6 to now 48.1 in
six months. I'd wish this number to be >50. (Our real code coverage is
higher, but each subproject is counted separately)

Re: variations in code coverage

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 18.08.2020 um 08:22 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
> Am 11.08.20 um 20:03 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
>> I've been wondering why the code coverage changes from time to time,
>> like this:
>>
>> The reasons are not the current problems, it is something with the
>> preflight subproject, and it happens when the host changes, i.e. that
>> the build starts clean. I'm not researching this further at this time
>> but wanted to share the very few things I found out.
>>
>> Tilman
>>
>> PS: our reported code coverage has increased from 45.6 to now 48.1 in
>> six months. I'd wish this number to be >50. (Our real code coverage
>> is higher, but each subproject is counted separately)
> Do we need to include all subprojects? Maybe there are some like the
> examples which might be excluded from sonar. WDYT?

I prefer to keep them. The examples need test coverage too, so that we
know that they work after any changes. I'm aware the lack of it drives
our score down. I might do some more (currently it's mostly the
signature stuff) when I'm bored but not focused enough for difficult
coding / debugging, or as a mental warm up.

Tilman

Re: variations in code coverage

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 11.08.20 um 20:03 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> I've been wondering why the code coverage changes from time to time, like this:
>
> The reasons are not the current problems, it is something with the preflight
> subproject, and it happens when the host changes, i.e. that the build starts
> clean. I'm not researching this further at this time but wanted to share the
> very few things I found out.
Maybe it has something to do with the isator and bavaria files. For a clean
build there aren't any result files and maybe that algorithm needs some sort of
reference measurement before producing any reasonable values for the statistics.

> Tilman
>
> PS: our reported code coverage has increased from 45.6 to now 48.1 in six
> months. I'd wish this number to be >50. (Our real code coverage is higher, but
> each subproject is counted separately)
It's always a good idea to have as much as possible test cases, especially if
one is refactoring a lot like the on demand parser and such things. I'll try to
do my best to support your efforts.

Andreas