Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/01 01:24:57 UTC

Re: [VOTE] MINA 2.0.4

On 5/31/11 7:31 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 30 May 2011 09:21, Julien Vermillard<jv...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This is a bug fix release.
>>
>> Fixed issues :
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-832
>> NullPointerException logged by ExceptionMonitor while invoking a
>> NioSocketConnector.connect() that fails
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-830
>> DIRMINA-830 Unconditional wait() in Read- and WriteWorker of SerialSessionImpl
>>
>> A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not
>> approved): http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/mina/tags/2.0.4/
> Maybe next time consider creating an RC1 tag.
It's not necessary, as we are just fixing bugs in such versions.
> If the vote does not succeed, create a new tag (RC2) and repeat.
> If the vote succeeds, rename the RCn tag as the release tag.
> That way, the release tag is immutable.
> Failed RCn tags can be removed after the voting has finished.
>
> If release tags can be deleted and re-created, how can one know which
> version of the tag was reviewed?
because we provide the svn revision number. Hmmm, has it been provided ?
if not, that's a mistake.
> ==
>
> The file ImprovedJavaConventions.xml does not have an AL header.
Right. But AFAIR, it's a generated file (Eclipse).
> Lots of files don't have the proper SVN properties - see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-837
We can fix that in the next release.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] MINA 2.0.4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 June 2011 00:49, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/1/11 1:39 AM, sebb wrote:

>>> It's not necessary, as we are just fixing bugs in such versions.
>>
>> Does not matter if you are only correcting a typo; it's important that
>> what is being voted on is uniquely identified.
>>
>> IMO, tags should be immutable. Much simpler in the long run.
>
> They are. if we can't vote a tag, then it's deleted, until we can get a
> positive vote.
>
> But I see where you are heading to.

If a tag is deleted and later recreated, then by definition it's not immutable.

> This can be discussed.

So long as the tag is uniquely identified it's OK by me.

That means providing either:
- immutable tag (revision is optional)
- mutable tag with revision

>>> because we provide the svn revision number. Hmmm, has it been provided ?
>>> if
>>> not, that's a mistake.
>>
>> AFAICT it has not been provided.
>
> bad...

It's not too late to provide one.

> Frankly, I do think now that it may be better to stop the vote and fix some
> of the issues we have (the latest you created, plus a new one).

The SVN properties are not a blocker, but should be fixed before
creating a new release candidate.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 2.0.4

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 2.0.4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 June 2011 00:24, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/11 7:31 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 30 May 2011 09:21, Julien Vermillard<jv...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a bug fix release.
>>>
>>> Fixed issues :
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-832
>>> NullPointerException logged by ExceptionMonitor while invoking a
>>> NioSocketConnector.connect() that fails
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-830
>>> DIRMINA-830 Unconditional wait() in Read- and WriteWorker of
>>> SerialSessionImpl
>>>
>>> A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not
>>> approved): http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/mina/tags/2.0.4/
>>
>> Maybe next time consider creating an RC1 tag.
>
> It's not necessary, as we are just fixing bugs in such versions.

Does not matter if you are only correcting a typo; it's important that
what is being voted on is uniquely identified.

IMO, tags should be immutable. Much simpler in the long run.

>> If the vote does not succeed, create a new tag (RC2) and repeat.
>> If the vote succeeds, rename the RCn tag as the release tag.
>> That way, the release tag is immutable.
>> Failed RCn tags can be removed after the voting has finished.
>>
>> If release tags can be deleted and re-created, how can one know which
>> version of the tag was reviewed?
>
> because we provide the svn revision number. Hmmm, has it been provided ? if
> not, that's a mistake.

AFAICT it has not been provided.

>> ==
>>
>> The file ImprovedJavaConventions.xml does not have an AL header.
>
> Right. But AFAIR, it's a generated file (Eclipse).
>>
>> Lots of files don't have the proper SVN properties - see
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-837
>
> We can fix that in the next release.

Yes.