Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com> on 2009/05/14 16:56:23 UTC

[S2] Annotation Validation - string substitution in message

I am using the following annotation for validation:
@RequiredStringValidator(key = "required.string.message")

I have the following in my globalMessages:
required.string.message=${string.name} is required

Is there a way to substitute the name of the field or a string that I specify take the place of ${string.name}?  For example, I would like to see "Team Name is required".

Norris Shelton
Software Engineer
Sun Certified Java 1.1 Programmer
Shelton Consulting, LLC
ICQ# 26487421
AIM NorrisEShelton
YIM norrisshelton

Re: [S2] Annotation Validation - string substitution in message

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Norris Shelton wrote:
> I need some clarification.
>
> I should have the following in my globalMessages?
> required.string.message=${get(fieldName)} is required
>
> How would I specify field name?

Hmm, in retrospect, I don't know if this technique works with
annotations. With XML validation "fieldName" is exposed by the
validator. Not sure if the same is true with annotations, so this may
not work.

Dave

Re: [S2] Annotation Validation - string substitution in message

Posted by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com>.
I need some clarification.

________________________________
> I am using the following annotation for validation:
> @RequiredStringValidator(key = "required.string.message")
>
> I have the following in my globalMessages:
> required.string.message=${string.name} is required
>
> Is there a way to substitute the name of the field or a string that I specify take the place of ${string.name}?  For example, I would like to see "Team Name is required".

${getText(fieldName)}

(more or less, and there should be a key of the field name defined.

Dave

Re: [S2] Annotation Validation - string substitution in message

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.