Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2006/01/29 17:55:09 UTC

Updating DOM to Level 3 Events?

(cc'ing batik-dev)

I've finally found time to implement the plan [1] to add the SAC, SMIL
and SVG DOM Java Bindings to XML Commons External. Everything's ready to
be committed but I'm holding back for the moment since an unexpected
detail came up:

Currently, the Events package seems to be on DOM Level 2 but Batik requires
DOM Level 3 [2]. So the question is whether there's any problem if I
upgrade the Events package to Level 3?

I can see that JAXP 1.3 seems to be on Level 2 still: see [3]. Any
feedback and suggestions how to proceed would be appreciated.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xml-commons-dev/200506.mbox/%3c20050626133157.488E.DEV.JEREMIAS@greenmail.ch%3e
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/java-binding.html
[3] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/events/package-summary.html

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Updating DOM to Level 3 Events?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Branch created and my changes applied:
Check out https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/commons/branches/external-extended/java/external

The way is free now to remove the W3C-licensed sources from the Batik
repository.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ok, that makes sense. So I'll create a new branch and put my changes
there. We can switch the trunk whenever we want later.

BTW, here's an answer to my original post by Robin Berjon. He authorized
me to forward his answer to the list. It contains interesting
information about the DOM Level 3 Events:

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 01/29/2006 11:55:09 AM:

> (cc'ing batik-dev)
>
> I've finally found time to implement the plan [1] to add the SAC, SMIL
> and SVG DOM Java Bindings to XML Commons External. Everything's ready to
> be committed but I'm holding back for the moment since an unexpected
> detail came up:
>
> Currently, the Events package seems to be on DOM Level 2 but Batik
requires
> DOM Level 3 [2]. So the question is whether there's any problem if I
> upgrade the Events package to Level 3?
>
> I can see that JAXP 1.3 seems to be on Level 2 still: see [3]. Any
> feedback and suggestions how to proceed would be appreciated.

TCKs tend to have signature tests which verify that the classes/interfaces
defined or endorsed by the spec are precisely what was specified. I see
that DOM Level 3 events adds methods to existing interfaces, so I'd say
there's a good chance such a move would cause a TCK failure. We probably
need a branch for this (or create a JAXP 1.3 TCK compliant branch).

> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xml-commons-dev/200506.
> mbox/%3c20050626133157.488E.DEV.JEREMIAS@greenmail.ch%3e
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/java-
> binding.html
> [3] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.
> 0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/events/package-summary.html
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Updating DOM to Level 3 Events?

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 01/29/2006 11:55:09 AM:

> (cc'ing batik-dev)
>
> I've finally found time to implement the plan [1] to add the SAC, SMIL
> and SVG DOM Java Bindings to XML Commons External. Everything's ready to
> be committed but I'm holding back for the moment since an unexpected
> detail came up:
>
> Currently, the Events package seems to be on DOM Level 2 but Batik
requires
> DOM Level 3 [2]. So the question is whether there's any problem if I
> upgrade the Events package to Level 3?
>
> I can see that JAXP 1.3 seems to be on Level 2 still: see [3]. Any
> feedback and suggestions how to proceed would be appreciated.

TCKs tend to have signature tests which verify that the classes/interfaces
defined or endorsed by the spec are precisely what was specified. I see
that DOM Level 3 events adds methods to existing interfaces, so I'd say
there's a good chance such a move would cause a TCK failure. We probably
need a branch for this (or create a JAXP 1.3 TCK compliant branch).

> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xml-commons-dev/200506.
> mbox/%3c20050626133157.488E.DEV.JEREMIAS@greenmail.ch%3e
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-DOM-Level-3-Events-20031107/java-
> binding.html
> [3] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.
> 0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/events/package-summary.html
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development