Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Um...@vjil.com on 2004/03/09 03:47:00 UTC

Steps to follow for SSL

Hi,
Can some one tell me what are the steps that I need to follow for
installing SSL on Tomcat 5. I have already woked on creating a self
cretified certificate and it works good. But when I purchase a certificate
what are the steps that I need to do i.e importing the certificate and
where to place it so that tomcat can recognize it, etc..

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Uma

Re: Steps to follow for SSL

Posted by James Agnew <fo...@funkster.com>.
Uma

Checkout the section entitled 'Installing a Certificate from a Certificate
Authority' here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

You'll need to create a CSR that you send to your Certificate Authority,
along with company registration details etc, for the company that has
registered the domain name you're securing with a cert. It's important that
these details match exactly with the registered owner details for your
domain, otherwise there'll be processing delays.

I use Thawte for all my secure certs with Tomcat and I've never had any
problems. Here are their instructions for setting up a secure cert under
Tomcat: http://kb.thawte.com/thawte/thawte/esupport.asp?id=vs15596

If you follow their instructions carefully, you should have no problems,
just make sure that you use the same password for the keystore *and* the
actual certificate key (just accept default prompt). If you use a password
different from the default ('changeit') you'll need to add the
keystorePass="<your new password>" attribute to the Connector element. Same
thing applies if you choose a different location for your keystore (the
default is the home file of the user under whom Tomcat is running). If you
change this, then add the keystoreFile="</path/to/keystore>" attribute to
the Connector element.

Hope this help, James