Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Roger Membreno <ro...@celigo.com> on 2015/12/07 22:26:35 UTC

[vfs] New Properties for FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder

Hello Apache Community, how are you doing?

We use Commons VFS in our FTP connection projects, and for a recent project
we only able to connect to our FTP site when using Passive mode.  If we
used Active mode we could login to the FTP site but all files in the
directory did not exist and could not be accessed.

Since our server is behind a firewall with NAT translation we determined
that the data connection could not be established even if we opened up some
ports on the firewall.  We were able to connect to the FTP site using a
stanadalone FTPClient by setting the following properties to match our NAT
security settings:
setReportActiveExternalIPAddress()
client.setActivePortRange()

With these properties set the PORT command issued by our client to the FTP
site will create a valid data connection.  What I'd like to do is submit a
change via GitHub that does the following:
1. Add "reportActiveExternalIPAddress" and "activePortRange" properties to
the class org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.ftp.FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder
2. Ehance createConnection in
org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.ftp.FtpClientFactory to read these new
FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder properties from the config instance and set them
on the FTPClient.

Let me know if you have any questions.  If you think this is a good change
I'll make a new issue in JIRA for this enhancement.  I also think that
these changes could help resolve VFS-201 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-201)

--
-Thanks,
Roger

*Roger Membreno *| Senior Software Engineer
Celigo, Inc

O 650.579.0210 x101
F 650.240.0143
E roger.membreno@celigo.com
W www.celigo.comFollow Us <http://celigo.com/blog/>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/celigo-inc>
<https://plus.google.com/101644332205934540197/posts>
<https://twitter.com/celigoinc>  <http://www.youtube.com/user/CeligoInc>

Re: [vfs] New Properties for FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder

Posted by ec...@zusammenkunft.net.
Hello,

Yes it would be good if you can open a Jira bug. You can then either attach your patch as a file attachment or add an URL to the GitHub pull request.

I dont think there will be any point release like 2.0.1 but the next target version is 2.1 (based on the current trunk). This is supposed to be more or less drop-in compatible (unfortunatelly there arenquite a few changes in the long time since the last release so I expect some problems.)

If you use VFS2 somewhere already it would be very helpfull if you actually try to replace it with 2.1-SNAPSHOT and report all problems you encountered with this step.

I am fine with both variants, a string range is less API clutter but more complicated parsing, a typed min/max property is most likely much simpler to implement.

Gruss
Bernd

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net