Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com> on 2011/11/09 11:00:24 UTC

Managing mobile views

Cool to see we now have a mobile view of the portal homepage :)
The current switch to the view is handled in the controller which means for
every returned view name the check has to be done. If it's only a small
subset of the views, then the current solution will be fine and we probably
need to add some css media queries for the views that have the same html
output for mobile and desktop. If most of the views will be different for
mobile and desktop, is this something we can move to a view resolver to use
a different path for the jsps?

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com

Re: Managing mobile views

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 9 Nov 2011, at 10:00, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:

> Cool to see we now have a mobile view of the portal homepage :)
> The current switch to the view is handled in the controller which means for
> every returned view name the check has to be done. If it's only a small
> subset of the views, then the current solution will be fine and we probably
> need to add some css media queries for the views that have the same html
> output for mobile and desktop. If most of the views will be different for
> mobile and desktop, is this something we can move to a view resolver to use
> a different path for the jsps?

Hi Jasha,

I've done some work with progressive enhancement - e.g. using media queries and viewport with dynamic css.

E.g.

http://scottbw.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/adventures-in-progressive-enhancement/

http://scottbw.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/adventures-in-progressive-enhancement-pt-2/

The idea is that mobile is the default view in terms of the CSS, and the you use media queries to add in styles needed for tablet size and then up to desktop display

(All inspired by Bryan Reiger's talk: http://www.slideshare.net/bryanrieger/rethinking-the-mobile-web-by-yiibu)

This is an alternative approach to having completely different views for different devices.