Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sc...@btopenworld.com on 2002/11/14 11:25:09 UTC

[attributes][clazz]

James,
I notice that you've checked in a new [attributes] project. This contains code to access metadata attributes if I'm reading it correctly.

Since this is part of the goal of the [clazz] project, it would be good to be clear as to whether they are two projects ([clazz] depending on [attribute] using it as one possible attribute implementation), or whether the [attribute] code should be merged into [clazz].

I don't want to see duplicated work here ;-)

Stephen

Re: [attributes][clazz]

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: <sc...@btopenworld.com>
> James,
> I notice that you've checked in a new [attributes] project. This contains
code to access metadata attributes if I'm reading it correctly.

> Since this is part of the goal of the [clazz] project, it would be good to
be clear as to whether they are two projects ([clazz] depending on
[attribute] using it as one possible attribute implementation), or whether
the [attribute] code should be merged into [clazz].

> I don't want to see duplicated work here ;-)

The aim of the attributes project is to provide a small and simple unified
API to allow the access of runtime doclet attributes used both in current
AOP projects like Nanning and Rickard Öberg's AOP framework as well as
hopefully to work with XDoclets XRAI project. (I'm hoping further down the
road we can provide a unified API to both Nanning, XRAI and Rickard's
framework).

e.g.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/attributes/usage.html

commons-attributes is simply a little component to access doclet attributes
at runtime. At compile time the metadata will be created via QDox or
XDoclet. I'm sure other mechanisms could be plugged in, like simple property
files, XML files etc.

So commons-attributes has a small, well defined scope. I still don't totally
grok the aim or scope of clazz but at the very least it appears to be a
broader higher level goal, more of being a component model, a new
introspection mechanism, a meta-beans thing or something. Maybe
commons-attributes might be useful in implementing clazz (I hope so) or
maybe not, but these 2 projects do seem quite different.

Or have I misunderstood what clazz is meant to be?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/