Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/16 22:33:01 UTC

Equity or equality

I've seen these terms used pretty much interchangeably and just noticed our wiki uses the term equality.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=112820458

Do we care? Are they equivalent?

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Craig!

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I've read all of the responses to this thread and believe that we have consensus that the page should be renamed "Equity, Diversity & Inclusion".

I'll ask Mark to make the change.

Regards,

Craig

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've seen these terms used pretty much interchangeably and just noticed our wiki uses the term equality.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=112820458
>
> Do we care? Are they equivalent?
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Equity is a better term, I was discussing this with the VP of ED&I at
Google and she agreed with this.

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
++1

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 1:24 AM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:

> Consciously or not, *_*we_ recruit new people and new projects to ASF. We
> are not (just) the cool stuff on the other side of the fence. We are the
> fence designers and the fence itself (ditto stadium). And we can choose to
> try to be the boxes, or at least try to notice where they could make things
> better.

I am really tired of the fence analogy. Why is there a fence to start with?
Because someone is running a business, to provide entertainment that some
people are willing to pay for. Why are we even discussing the people who
wants the product without paying for it?
ASF is not a business that is producing a product with a price that
excludes users (for many more reasons that unable to pay). The analogy of
the cartoon is therefor complete nonsense;

  1. There are no paying customers, no fence for the users. Anyone can be a
viewer and although you need a computer to consume our product, I don't
think anyone is arguing that the really unfortunate, really disadvantaged
(not just "I don't feel good") people, should be assisted.

  2. Baseball is a game with players, and this D&I effort is about "who is
welcome to play". And again, baseball can't let everyone play at the same
time at the same level. We, on the other hand, have no systemic (baseball
rules) issues of whether to allow someone to play or not, OTHER THAN the
willingness to be charitable, eagerness to help out and/or the mental
capacity to handle/tackle the complexity of software (even rudimentary
software is somewhat challenging for many people).

The fact that the analogy applies to businesses (who get to play (employed)
or who get to view (customer)) doesn't mean that has the same relevance to
the ASF.

So please, find a better analogy, rather than harping this broken one. The
potluck dinner is much better, except that the food in each contribution is
unlimited, so not only can the one's bringing the food eat, but anyone else
can just walk in and fill their bellies (and millions of people!!!!)
literally does that.

Niclas

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 3:51 AM Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org> wrote:

> I also like that analogy and I think it matches what we are trying to do.
> We are trying to do all we can to allow for equitable opportunity for all.
> We need to know what "blockers" there are and what we can do about them. I
> have no doubt that the Outreachy effort will help with that.

The concern I have is ensuring there is a realistic understanding of what
> equitable opportunity means, and how to implement them, especially as it
> impacts the concept of merit here at the ASF.

A realistic understanding of what equitable opportunity means would come
not from email threads at the ASF but from experts in that issue (we have
people with varying degrees of expertise, for sure, but collectively we are
not an expert org on this). So to the extent that I want to learn from
those who are better versed in this knowledge, I share your concern. It is
a good idea to gather readings like these and also confer with experts on
specifics when we have some. If we do that for a few years or decades, then
we might become the ones that can help others with our perspective and
experience.

Because it is never too early to remind ourselves of some basic tenets, one
> core idea of the Apache Way and our do-ocracy is that merit (or reward) is
> dependent upon what you do, not who you are. As such, we should always keep
> in the back of our minds that such solutions as "you are from an
> under-represented group and therefore you don't need to earn that much
> merit" or, conversely, "you are someone with privilege and therefore needs
> to do a lot more to earn the same amount of merit" will assuredly not stand
> at the ASF.

> No, I am not worried about that happening, but just wanted to make sure
> that this aspect of the Apache Way was known and acknowledged.

I don't believe this has ever been proposed nor even a remote possibility.

This is about the effort _we_ put in. I don't share the perspective that
equity is something allowed by removing blockers. Equity, or lack thereof,
is designed and built and maintained. Like choosing the color of a T-shirt,
there is no such thing as neutral or default. This is another "If you
choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" realm of life.

Consciously or not, *_*we_ recruit new people and new projects to ASF. We
are not (just) the cool stuff on the other side of the fence. We are the
fence designers and the fence itself (ditto stadium). And we can choose to
try to be the boxes, or at least try to notice where they could make things
better. We choose that is where we want to put our thoughts and effort.
That's where The Apache Way comes in - not everyone will want to put their
selves into this and that is fine. Don't subscribe to dev@diversity. If you
do want to put your effort into this, join dev@diversity and help out. If
you don't think other people should be doing that work... the Apache Way
probably has something about that.

And the final reminder is understanding that, at the end of the day, not
> everyone will want to look over the fence. And that's OK. That is not a
> failure. Some people may simply not be interested in watching whatever is
> going on over there, no matter how easy it is we make it for them to do so.

Certainly true. This is also not really a problem we face nor one we are
trying to solve.

Kenn

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
FTR: I don't think it is far lumping all those who are expressing contrary opinions as doing so via "anger and outrage", nor implying the reason for such anger and outrage as them not wanting more friends to come to dinner. There are people who are deeply supportive of the effort and simply have serious concerns about the process (oh that word! :) )

Saying so diminishes those who have a valid point, I think, and makes it easy to discount those who express concerns or contrary opinions.

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Equity or equality

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.