Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rigas Parathyras <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/19 11:27:21 UTC

Use rtflib with 0.20.5 version

Hello,

I am using fop version 0.20.5 to generate pdfs from xsl-fo files. Now we
would like to extend it to printing to RTF formats.
Is there some way I can download RtfLib as standalone? I would like to stick
to version 0.20.5 at least for now and I saw that it is only part of version
0.92. What are my options???

Thank you for any help in advance.
Rigas

Re: Use rtflib with 0.20.5 version

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
You can easily use (but not download) the RTF library stand-alone.
However, I don't recommend retrofitting RTF support into 0.20.5 because
(1) the effort is invested in the wrong place and (2) you don't have the
infrastructure in there to easily implement it. You'll basically
implement the whole thing from scratch. 0.20.5 doesn't have the design
to allow a flow-based conversion from FO to RTF. You can try to write a
renderer but the renderer is a coordinate-based thing but RTF is a
flow-based format. If you want stand-alone RTF output you can still
download old JFOR but FOP is where the FO2RTF converter is maintained.
JFOR is not maintained anymore, and so is FOP 0.20.5.

What are the reasons you cannot upgrade to the latest FOP version? Maybe
you should ask yourself that question first.

I would urge you to consider helping us improve the RTF support in FOP
Trunk. That's a much better long-term investment.

On 19.06.2006 11:27:21 Rigas Parathyras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using fop version 0.20.5 to generate pdfs from xsl-fo files. Now we
> would like to extend it to printing to RTF formats.
> Is there some way I can download RtfLib as standalone? I would like to stick
> to version 0.20.5 at least for now and I saw that it is only part of version
> 0.92. What are my options???
>
> Thank you for any help in advance.
> Rigas

Jeremias Maerki