Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by jjnfg <jj...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/04 00:50:47 UTC

NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

I have just installed SOAP v2.3.1 with TOMCAT v3.3.1 under
IBM's OS/390.

I copied Soap.war into webapps/

Started tomcat and the soap.war expanded.

I point my browser to httP://hostname:port/soap
and the "APACHE SOAP Admin" page came up alright.

But when I click the "List" function I get :

Location: /soap/admin/list.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
	at admin.list_1._jspService(list_1.java:63)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
	at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(ServletHandler.java:574)
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Handler.java:322)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:235)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(ServletHandler.java:485)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:917)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:833)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Http10Interceptor.java:176)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:494)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:516)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:512)

Is there somewhere that I did wrong or missed out ?

I can't use tomcat v4.x.x it just won't run under IBM's
OS/390. I reported it as a bug and as yet no response from
the developer.

Joseph Tan

http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
- Always be connected to your Messenger Friends

Re: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Yes, putting soap.jar in lib/ext causes problems for Tomcat because of
the boundaries between class loaders.  Because classes in soap.jar
depend on classes in upstream class loaders (e.g. classes in
servlet.jar), class loading problems occur if soap.jar is in lib/ext.

Scott Nichol

Re: Jasper and Exception SOLVED PARTIALLY

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
soap.jar in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext is a very bad idea.  This has been
the cause of problems for many, many people.  If you look at Tomcat's
class loader information at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html,
you will find that jars in lib/ext are loaded by the bootstrap class
loader.  This creates problems because classes in soap.jar have
dependencies on classes, such as javax.http.HttpServlet, that need to be
loaded from loaders upstream in the class loader chain (that class is in
servlet.jar, which is handled by the common class loader).  I don't
pretend to know whether Tomcat implements its class loaders "correctly";
I just know what the docs say and what users are experiencing.

In the case of Apache SOAP, by putting soap.war in Tomcat's webapps
directory, Tomcat has access to all Apache SOAP classes (all those in
soap.jar and all samples).

You may also want to consult Sun's docs on the extension mechanism
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/extensions/spec.html.  They
intend the lib\ext directory to be used for what used to be called
"standard extensions", basically jar files with javax.* classes.  It is
not a place to dump jars to avoid specifying them in your classpath.

Scott Nichol

Re: JasperException and ServletException

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Also, be certain you do not have a copy of soap.jar in
%JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

Posted by jjnfg <jj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Micheal and Scott for the reply.

I resolved the problem by making the servlet.jar available
in the CLASSPATH of my Telnet session where I startup
Tomcat.

That is despite the fact that servlet.jar is already
present in lib\common of Tomcat v3.3.1.
I even made copies of servlet.jar in lib\apps,
lib\container and webapps\soap\ it made no difference (the
problem remains).

I also place activation.jar and mail.jar in the CLASSPATH.

Joseph Tan

--- Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com> wrote: >
Michael,

> Glad to hear you solved this!
>
> Just to be sure I understand this for future reference,
> do you mean
> soap.jar was in the CLASSPATH environment variable for
> your command
> shell, or in a classpath set within a Tomcat startup
> script?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott Nichol

=== message truncated ===

Posted by jjnfg <jj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Micheal and Scott for the reply.

I resolved the problem by making the servlet.jar available
in the CLASSPATH of my Telnet session where I startup
Tomcat.

That is despite the fact that servlet.jar is already
present in lib\common of Tomcat v3.3.1.
I even made copies of servlet.jar in lib\apps,
lib\container and webapps\soap\ it made no difference (the
problem remains).

I also place activation.jar and mail.jar in the CLASSPATH.

Joseph Tan

--- Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com> wrote: >
Michael,

> Glad to hear you solved this!
>
> Just to be sure I understand this for future reference,
> do you mean
> soap.jar was in the CLASSPATH environment variable for
> your command
> shell, or in a classpath set within a Tomcat startup
> script?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott Nichol

=== message truncated ===

Posted by Michael Baron <mi...@hotmail.com>.
I am using soap2.3.1/Tomcat 4.1 and JDK 1.4.1 on a windows XP machine.

Posted by Michael Baron <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Szymon Drejewicz <dr...@idea.net.pl>.
Dear Michael,

Posted by Szymon Drejewicz <dr...@idea.net.pl>.
Dear Michael,

what version of tomcat, soap, j2sdk and what system you have?

Szymon Drejewicz

Re: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

> This looks similar to my problem.  I just solved it.  It turns out
what
> caused it was that I put a copy of soap.jar in my classpath.  Why this
was
> incompatible with the classes in WEB-INF/classes I do not know.  I got
the
> JAR file from same version as the WAR file.

.java:516)

> Is there somewhere that I did wrong or missed out ?
>
> I can't use tomcat v4.x.x it just won't run under IBM's
> OS/390. I reported it as a bug and as yet no response from
> the developer.
>
> Joseph Tan
>

> http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
> - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends

<ma...@xml.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@xml.apache.org>

Re: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

> I have just installed SOAP v2.3.1 with TOMCAT v3.3.1 under
> IBM's OS/390.
>
> I copied Soap.war into webapps/
>
> Started tomcat and the soap.war expanded.
>
> I point my browser to httP://hostname:port/soap
> and the "APACHE SOAP Admin" page came up alright.
>
> But when I click the "List" function I get :
>

> Location: /soap/admin/list.jsp
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
> at admin.list_1._jspService(list_1.java:63)
> at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
> at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(ServletHandler.java:57
4)
> at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Handler.java:322)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:235)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(ServletHandler.java:485)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.jav
a:917)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:833)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Htt
p10Interceptor.java:176)
> at

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:49
4)
> at

.java:516)