Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> on 2012/10/12 15:37:24 UTC

New draft of release announcement for Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating

Below, please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

###

[ANNOUNCE] Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating Released

The Apache CloudStack project is pleased to announce the 4.0.0-incubating release of the CloudStack Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud orchestration platform. This is the first release from within the Apache Incubator, the entry path into the Apache Software Foundation (ASF).

Apache CloudStack is an integrated software platform that allows users to build a feature-rich IaaS. CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich API for managing the compute, networking, accounting, and storage for private, hybrid, or public clouds.

The 4.0.0-incubating release represents the culmination of more than six months work by the CloudStack community. The release includes more than a dozen new features, many bugfixes, security fixes, and a fully audited codebase that complies with ASF guidelines.

##New Features:

 * Inter-VLAN Routing (VPC)
 * Site-to-Site VPN
 * Local Storage Support for Data Volumes
 * Virtual Resource Tagging
 * Secure Console Access on XenServer
 * Added the ability to create a VM without immediately starting it (via API)
 * Upload an Existing Volume to a Virtual Machine
 * Dedicated High-Availability Hosts
 * Support for Amazon Web Services API (formerly a separate package)
 * AWS API Extensions to include Tagging
 * Support for Nicira NVP (L2)
 * Ceph RBD Support for KVM
 * Support for Caringo as Secondary Storage
 * KVM Hypervisor support upgraded to work with Ubuntu 12.04 and RHEL 6.3

##Downloads

The official source code release can be downloaded from:

http://cloudstack.org/downloads.html

In addition to the official source code release, the project has also made convenience binaries available on the Apache CloudStack download page.

##CloudStack Collaboration Conference

The CloudStack project will have its first collaboration conference in Las Vegas, from November 30th through December 2nd at The Venetian. The conference will provide an opportunity for the community to learn more about CloudStack, share best practices for deploying CloudStack, and discuss ideas for upcoming releases.

Learn more about the CloudStack Collaboration Conference at:

http://collab12.cloudstack.org/

##Incubating

Apache CloudStack is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software Foundation (ASF). Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.
--
Joe Brockmeier
Twitter: @jzb

Re: New draft of release announcement for Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Joe, this is great. Looks camera ready to me (with Sally's and Chip's edits
> above).
>
> Once comment on this:
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> That page has a section headed:
>>
>> Unofficial Development Release Candidates (RCs)
>>
>> The section should please be removed before the announcement is released.
>> Only official releases should be promoted on pages for the general public.
>>
>> Snapshots and development RCs should only be mentioned on developer
>> pages, and there should be plenty of warnings that the files are not
>> officially supported - use at own risk.
>

> Chip, I think you have addressed this in your staging stuff?
>
> http://cloudstack.staging.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html
>
> We *can* however link to our binary packages from this page. Just not
> pre-release builds or nightlies.
>

> --
> NS

Yup, the new version that's pending a publish command removed that stuff.

Re: New draft of release announcement for Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 October 2012 14:50, Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks, Joe.
>
> This looks good overall. Comments inline:
>

>> [ANNOUNCE] Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating Released
>>
>> The Apache CloudStack project is pleased to announce the 4.0.0-incubating
>> release of the CloudStack Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud orchestration
>> platform. This is the first release from within the Apache Incubator, the entry
>> path into the Apache Software Foundation (ASF).
>>
>> Apache CloudStack is an integrated software platform that allows users to build
>> a feature-rich IaaS. CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich
>> API for managing the compute, networking, accounting, and storage for private,
>> hybrid, or public clouds.
>
> Please add "The project entered the Apache Incubator in May 2012." or "Cloudstack entered the Apache Incubator in May 2012."
>

>> The 4.0.0-incubating release represents the culmination of more than six months
>> work by the CloudStack community. The release includes more than a dozen new
>> features, many bugfixes, security fixes, and a fully audited codebase that
>> complies with ASF guidelines.
>>
>> ##New Features:
>>
>> * Inter-VLAN Routing (VPC)
>> * Site-to-Site VPN
>> * Local Storage Support for Data Volumes
>> * Virtual Resource Tagging
>> * Secure Console Access on XenServer
>> * Added the ability to create a VM without immediately starting it (via API)
>> * Upload an Existing Volume to a Virtual Machine
>> * Dedicated High-Availability Hosts
>> * Support for Amazon Web Services API (formerly a separate package)
>> * AWS API Extensions to include Tagging
>> * Support for Nicira NVP (L2)
>> * Ceph RBD Support for KVM
>> * Support for Caringo as Secondary Storage
>> * KVM Hypervisor support upgraded to work with Ubuntu 12.04 and RHEL 6.3
>>
>> ##Downloads
>>
>> The official source code release can be downloaded from:
>>
>> http://cloudstack.org/downloads.html

Gives 404

e,g, http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/downloads.html

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Joe.

April is fine; I was going by the "Incubation status reports" at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html :

> May 2012
>
> Overview:
>
>  Cloudstack just entered the incubator a couple of weeks ago.

...as I don't know when exactly "a couple of weeks ago", and our Board meetings usually take place the second or third week of the month, I presumed we're still talking about May.

The April Board minutes[1] state that it's not in yet, and the May Board minutes[2] state that the project is "still getting started".

Whatever is factually correct works for me.

Cheers,
Sally

[1] http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2012/board_minutes_2012_04_18.txt
[2] http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2012/board_minutes_2012_05_16.txt

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
Hi Sally,

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Joe.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
> Below, please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

+1 to this being the eventual announcement.  Thanks Joe!