Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Weil, Janus" <ja...@dfs.de> on 2019/11/22 16:21:23 UTC

LDAP authorization with multiple LDAP servers

Dear ActiveMQ people,

we have a neatly working setup of several ActiveMQ 5 brokers which rely on an LDAP server for authorization.

The configuration in activemq.xml looks roughly like this (some parts omitted):

        <plugins>
            <jaasAuthenticationPlugin configuration="LdapConfiguration" />
            <authorizationPlugin>
                <map>
                    <cachedLDAPAuthorizationMap
                        connectionURL="ldap://my.ldap.server:389"
                        connectionUsername="..."
                        connectionPassword="..."
                        queueSearchBase="..."
                        topicSearchBase="..."
                        tempSearchBase="..."
                        refreshInterval="300000"
                        legacyGroupMapping="false"
                        groupObjectClass="groupOfNames"
                        permissionGroupMemberAttribute="member"
                        userObjectClass="person"
                        userNameAttribute="uid"
                    />
                </map>
            </authorizationPlugin>
        </plugins>

Now we plan to add some redundancy / high-availability for the LDAP part by using two or more mirrored LDAP servers. My simple question is: Does ActiveMQ have support for working with multiple LDAP servers?

The documentation at https://activemq.apache.org/cached-ldap-authorization-module does not give any hint on whether the connectionURL can specify multiple servers.

However I found another reference to the JAAS LDAP Login Module at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_jboss_a-mq/6.3/html/security_guide/esbsecurecontainer#JAASAuth-LDAPLoginModule, which seems to indicate that connection.url may specify multiple URLs as a space-separated list.

Can I expect that to work also in the ActiveMQ context?

Best regards,

Janus

DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH
Am DFS-Campus
D - 63225 Langen

Tel.: +49-(0)6103-707-0

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Langen/Hessen
Zustaendiges Registergericht: AG Offenbach am Main, HRB 34977
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Martina Hinricher
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Klaus-Dieter Scheurle (Vors.), Robert Schickling, Dr. Michael Hann

Internet: http://www.dfs.de
Public-Key der DFS: http://www.dfs.de/dfs/public_key.asc

Re: LDAP authorization with multiple LDAP servers

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
Under the covers the cachedLDAPAuthorizationMap uses
com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory for connectivity with LDAP [1].  The
Oracle documentation states [2], "Instead of just one URL, you can also
supply a space-separated list of URLs. In this case, the LDAP provider will
attempt to use each URL in turn until it is able to create a successful
connection." It then provides a simple example [3]:

  // Specify list of space-separated URLs
  env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL,
      "ldap://notthere:389/o=JNDITutorial " +
      "ldap://localhost:389/o=JNDITutorial " +
      "ldap://remotehost/o=JNDITutorial " +
      "ldap://thirdhost:389/o=JNDITutorial");

Justin

[1]
https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/master/activemq-broker/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/security/SimpleCachedLDAPAuthorizationMap.java#L64
[2] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/url.html
[3]
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/src/MultiUrls.java

Posted by "Weil, Janus" <ja...@dfs.de>.
Dear Justin,

thanks a lot for your reply (and please keep me in CC, since I'm not subscribed to the ActiveMQ mailing list).

By now I have tried to use a space-separated list of URLs and indeed it seems to work. Very nice!

I guess it would be good to mention this in the documentation, wouldn't it? Am I right in assuming that a documentation patch should target the following file?

https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/blob/master/src/cached-ldap-authorization-module.md

Cheers,

Janus