Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Lopez Ridruejo <ri...@gtex-pracs.us.es> on 1998/01/30 13:06:22 UTC

Comanche alpha

I am sending this to new-httpd and gui-dev, so if any of you is subscribed to
both of them you will get it twice (sorry)

This is to announce Comanche 0.1 alpha

* What is Comanche?
==================

Comanche stands for "COnfiguration MANager for apaCHE"
It is a graphical configuration utility for the Apache webserver (see
http://www.apache.org) distributed under GNU license

You can find more information about Comanche at

http://www.esi.us.es/~ridruejo/comanche

and about the Apache GUI and Configuration project at

http://butler.disa.mil/ApacheConfigClient
http://www.esi.us.es/~ridruejo/gui

* Where can I get it?
=====================

http://www.esi.us.es/~ridruejo/comanche/download

NOTE: This release is only intended for the people at gui-dev@apache.org
and new-httpd@apache.org. So PLEASE do not distribute further. Although it is
pretty usable now, I do not want to make it wide public until I consider
it is complete enough

* What do I need to run it?
===========================

Comanche is written in TCL/TK, so it should run out of the box in any
Windows, MAC or UNIX machine with a TCL/TK interpreter installed
It has been tested in Windows NT, Windows 95 and Red Hat Linux 5.0

You need tcl/tk 8.0 to run it. You can get it at ftp://ftp.smli.com/pub/tcl
The latest version I know of is 8.0p2

* What is this release for?

* Acknowledgements
==================

Sue. For her patience... I love u
Miguel for Beta Testing
The Apache Group. For creating such a wonderful server
The friends at the Apache Gui project (Hi Justin! Hi Mario! :)

Re: Comanche alpha

Posted by Justin Seiferth <se...@erols.com>.
There's a java version on the way.  See
http://butler.disa.mil/ApacheConfig

Justin

Re: Comanche alpha

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Yes and no.  The web still sucks for stuff like that.  Making a useful
> web-based program is far harder than making a useful local program.
>
> Note that someone is working on a Java one.  Hmm.  Perhaps I should start
> playing with yet-another-thing-that-I-won't-finish to get into Java...

Looking at the snapshots of Comanche I don't really see anything in the
interface that couldn't be done with a bit of JavaScript and some fancy
HTML.  Wouldn't even need Java to achieve the same result.

Of course, I should install it and play with it to make further comments
on it.  Just can't see myself installing TCL/TK on this little Windows
palmtop,

-Rasmus

Re: Comanche alpha

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.