Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karuppu Samy <cs...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/17 03:51:04 UTC

Regarding queries to access application using domain name instead of IP_address:8080 _ cpanel

Hi,

I have cPanel servers which runs on tomcat 7 and installed necessary
modules.

But I wanted to know how to access the deployed application using domain
name instead of http://IP_address:8080 ? where should change the
configuration part?

I have created the domain and assigned dedicated IP address and installed
servlets from cPanel.

Any help will highly appreciated :)

Regards

Karuppu

Re: Regarding queries to access application using domain name instead of IP_address:8080 _ cpanel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Regarding queries to access application using domain name instead of IP_address:8080 _ cpanel

Posted by Karuppu Samy <cs...@gmail.com>.
for example support I have tomcat application
http://vps.google.com:8080instead of I would like to use
student.google.com or mydomain.com

Is that possible?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Karuppu Samy <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Karuppu,

There are many things that are going on here:

1. As Chris has pointed out, DNS is an issue
2. Running applications on ports < 1024 requires root privileges
3. You do NOT want to run Tomcat (or any server) as root

 From another machine, can you do the following:

dig www.yourdomain.com

If you get QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, then your domain name is not
registered or in DNS, and you'll have to take care of that first.

Taking care of registering your domain is registry-specific. Adding it
to DNS once you do this is ISP-specific.

BTW, www.yourdomain.com is registered, as is thisshouldnotexist.com. Go
figure.

Now, once you have that taken care of, you should be able to get to
http://www.yourdomain.com:8080/

The next task is to get your Tomcat server running on port 80. There are
at least three routes.

1. ip tables with port forwarding

Ask on the CentOS mailing list concerning this. Or read the IP Tables
documentation. It's not too difficult to figure out, and there are many
examples of this on the 'net.

2. Front end with Apache HTTPD running on port 80

You can then connect your Tomcat to Apache with mod_jk (see the docs at
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/), mod_proxy_ajp, or mod_proxy_http.

This is nice if you have other applications besides Tomcat-based ones,
or have some esoteric requirements. Other than that, it's not necessary
and just creates more overhead and complexity.

3. Commons-daemon

This will allow you to run Tomcat on port 80 without running as root.
Instructions for doing so can be found here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/setup.html#Unix_daemon.

However, first things first - get your host name registered and resolving.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Regarding queries to access application using domain name instead of IP_address:8080 _ cpanel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.