Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca> on 2013/05/19 16:51:12 UTC

Media models?

Hi,

This question is probably a little off-topic for here, but I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction (possibly a better forum)?

I am trying to find out of any effort has already been made, for establishing any content models for video or audio? My current searches didn't turn up anything of use. For the first two I am seeing a CMS system being used as the basis for a home media system, in the same vane as Plex or XBMC. For images there is XPTC and EXIF, but I am not aware of what there is for audio or video.

Thanks

Andre

Re: Media models?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 20 May 2013, Andre-John Mas wrote:
> I took a look at the XMP specification (
> http://www.aiim.org/documents/standards/xmpspecification.pdf ) and I
> could not see anything with regards to video or audio. XMP seems to much
> more about defining a container for storing metadata, rather than
> defining the metadata.

It's both

I'd suggest you take a look at how Apache Tika uses XMP definitions for
audio and video in its metadata, eg
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/trunk/tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/metadata/XMPDM.java

Then, look up the bits of the XMP specification that the Tika uses
reference

Nick

Re: Media models?

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.
On 2013-05-19, at 11:14 , Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2013, Andre-John Mas wrote:
>> I am trying to find out of any effort has already been made, for establishing any content models for video or audio?
>
> How about XMP? That's what Apache Tika uses for audio and video metadata, and because of that some ECMs which use Tika (eg Alfresco) also use something similar

I took a look at the XMP specification ( http://www.aiim.org/documents/standards/xmpspecification.pdf ) and I could not see anything with regards to video or audio. XMP seems to much more about defining a container for storing metadata, rather than defining the metadata.

Maybe my terminology is wrong? What I am looking for are common 'schemas' for specifying video and audio metadata. I am ware of EXIF and XPTC for images and Dublin Core for common use cases, though nothing for video or audio. I am trying to avoid reinventing the wheel if something is already out there.

Andre

Re: Media models?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.