Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by hankin <ha...@theinternetemail.com> on 2014/09/16 05:13:41 UTC

Node '....' has unexpectedly changed kind, after svn upgrade

Hello,

I just upgraded to svn 1.8.8
It asked me to run "svn upgrade" so I did.

But now when I try to commit a folder, it says...
Node '....' has unexpectedly changed kind

I haven't changed this file for many months.

When I run "svn  info ...", it says it's a file and it is a file so there
is nothing wrong.
Node Kind: file

I've tried removing the file and running "svn update" on the file, but
still the same error.

Thank you.

Re: Node '....' has unexpectedly changed kind, after svn upgrade

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 16.09.2014 13:21, hankin wrote:
> The status was ~
>
> Something was definitely broken.
>
> When I remove the file and run "svn update", it is a normal file but
> with only one line.  But the file has many lines and is a normal file.
> The status is still ~ after removing and updating.
>
> But if I change the file to a symlink, the status is M
>
> Anyways, I changed it to a link, removed the file, copied back the
> data, and added it again.  It's ok now.

The most likely explanation is that something (perhaps an editor?)
replaced the symlink with a file that contained the symlink target's
contents. Subversion wouldn't do that itself.

-- Brane

Re: Node '....' has unexpectedly changed kind, after svn upgrade

Posted by hankin <ha...@theinternetemail.com>.
The status was ~

Something was definitely broken.

When I remove the file and run "svn update", it is a normal file but with
only one line.  But the file has many lines and is a normal file.
The status is still ~ after removing and updating.

But if I change the file to a symlink, the status is M

Anyways, I changed it to a link, removed the file, copied back the data,
and added it again.  It's ok now.

Thanks.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.