Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/03/10 14:33:01 UTC

Bugzilla vs Jira revisited

Folks,

I think it is about time we revisited the decision on whether we want to
stay with Bugzilla or migrate to Jira for HttpComponents issue
tracking.

The support of Bugzilla has very much improved since we first considered
migration to Jira. Nonetheless, Bugzilla is still quite a nuisance when
it comes to administration. I find the perspective of renaming the
project entry from HttpClient to HttpComponents simply dreadful. Last
time around it took 5 months and an unpleasant squabble on the infra
mailing list in order to get Commons HttpClient component promoted to a
full-fledged project in Bugzilla. I personally do not want to go through
that exercise one more.  Jira unlike Bugzlilla should have a more
granular access permission model and we should have a greater autonomy
in administering project related metadata.

Opinions?

Oleg

Re: Bugzilla vs Jira revisited

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
I would Agree with Roland.  If we can manage to pull it off I would be
happy to move to JIRA.

Leaving the old BZ site in place with readonly issues should work as
well.  I don't see too many people modifying old bugs.

Mike

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>>One more thing to think about: In past release notes we list all BZ IDs
>>of fixed issues. Moving to JIRA would render them invalid I guess.
>

> As far as I know Jira keeps original ids of issue reports imported from
> BZ. So, this should not be a problem

Wow that's pretty cool. So we could really delete the BZ project after
the migration.

>>Is
>>there a way to set the BZ to read-only mode?
>>

> Partially. A project in BZ can be marked as closed, which implies no new
> issues can be added, but one can still modify existing ones open prior
> to the project closure. This is something we will have to live with.

No need for this then.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Roland,
>
> I should have elaborated this a little more. Essentially we have three
>
> (1) Keep BZ as an issue tracking system for JHC and JCHC. Work with the
> infrastructure people to reorganize HttpClient project to fit our needs
> (rename HttpClient project to HttpComponents, rename HttpCommon to
> HttpCore, add missing modules and release milestones)
>
> (2) Wholesale move to JIRA. JCHC is just a another module in JHC project
>
> (3) Use BZ for JCHC. Use JIRA for JHC
>
> In my opinion the third option is the most problematic one. It is just a
> matter of time until some users will end up reporting JCHC bugs in Jira
> and JHC bugs in Bugzilla leaving us with a horrible mess on our hands.
>
> I am personally for the second option.
>
> Oleg

One more thing to think about: In past release notes we list all BZ IDs
of fixed issues. Moving to JIRA would render them invalid I guess. Is

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Either make the move now or never. Although I am very happy with
Bugzilla, I can do with JIRA as well. I quite like JIRA's roadmap
feature. See
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/EJBTHREE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
for example. But on the other hand JIRA has some problems with deep
linking as it keeps a user session. And JIRA may not be as intuitive to
use ('find issues' is strangely designed), but looks nicer. Also
Bugzilla's mail blabber is much cleaner than JIRA's.

my 0.02 CHF

Odi