Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/06/29 22:58:51 UTC

Interest in a JMS2 based client?

Hi Qpid Community!

I was wondering, is there any interest in upgrading the Qpid JMS client to
the JMS 2 specification?

There is an Alpha 2 of the JMS 2 spec, which is used by ActiveMQ Artemis
for its client libraries.  I would love to see similar support in Qpid, and
would be happy to give a hand.  If my name's unfamiliar, I was on the JMS 2
expert group.

John

Re: Interest in a JMS2 based client?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 29 June 2016 at 23:58, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Qpid Community!
>
> I was wondering, is there any interest in upgrading the Qpid JMS client to
> the JMS 2 specification?
>
> There is an Alpha 2 of the JMS 2 spec, which is used by ActiveMQ Artemis
> for its client libraries.  I would love to see similar support in Qpid, and
> would be happy to give a hand.  If my name's unfamiliar, I was on the JMS 2
> expert group.
>
> John

Hi John,

There is interest, it is even something thats been showing signs of
bubbling on my todo list recently. We were originally aiming to go
straight to JMS 2.0 with the newer client but eventually decided
getting a 1.1 client out was more practical for various reasons. There
are also some non-trivial things to do around mapping some of the
added functionality on to AMQP 1.0, particularly such as the shared
subscription stuff which doesnt really have a natural fit.

Robbie

Re: Interest in a JMS2 based client?

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Sorry for the confusion, John.

Qpid is not an OASIS-centric product, but it does implement a number of OASIS standards, including AMQP 1.0 itself.

TC discussions take part within OASIS which is completely separate from Apache and Qpid, though some people who work on Qpid (hi, Robbie ;-) also participate in OASIS. There are also OASIS participants from other vendors and groups.

-Steve

Re: RE: Interest in a JMS2 based client?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi John,

I can't answer specifically for the code (though I suspect the answer will be yes), but I also chair the OASIS AMQP Bindings and Mappings technical committee. One of the TC's areas is standardizing the JMS mapping to AMQP 1.0 - we’re currently working on JMS 1.1 with JMS 2 a follow-on goal. Would you be willing to help out the TC ensure the standardized mapping reflects your experience and knowledge?