Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@datatorrent.com> on 2015/12/24 07:58:39 UTC

Support for collection based port in Apex

Hi,

This is coming from https://github.com/apache/incubator-apex-malhar/pull/142

The code changes uses ports wrapped in the collections.
Currently Apex does not support collection of ports.

But, I think this is a good idea to support for the use cases where the
number of ports are not know upfront.

Thoughts?

~ Chinmay.

Re: Support for collection based port in Apex

Posted by Bhupesh Chawda <bh...@datatorrent.com>.
+1

I felt a similar need few days back.
When we have ports in collections, these ports are considered "not
associated to any operator in the dag".

Thanks.
Bhupesh

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Chinmay Kolhatkar <chinmay@datatorrent.com

Posted by Bhupesh Chawda <bh...@datatorrent.com>.
In my case it was translation of Apache Samoa topology into Apex DAG.
An "add node" in Samoa can be translated to an "add operator" in Apex.
However, these topologies do not define how many streams / ports will be
produced by the operator upfront. It is only until we encounter a "add
stream" which gives the hint that another port is needed to produce that
stream.

-Bhupesh

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.